You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Oldest Macbook That Will Link to iPhone?

I’m thinking about getting a macbook for school and I 1. want it to be able to share/link with my phone and 2. need it to be cheap, lol. I currently have a Windows laptop and, while it links with my phone, it’s kind of jank. My dad told me to avoid macbooks with intel processors but all of the ones with apple processors are out of my budget 🫠

iPhone SE, iOS 17

Posted on Aug 27, 2024 2:32 PM

6 replies

Aug 29, 2024 11:01 PM in response to billb59

billb59 wrote:

Hi I just got a laptop with Yosemite on it and that’s kinda old now I’m fixing to find out & see if it will hook up with my iPad and iPhone I’m pretty sure it will do that

Yosemite is not enough to manage the latest iPhones.

For "manual" management of a directly-connected iPhone, the bar used to be the latest release of El Capitan. That was right before the iPhone 15s and iOS 17 came out. Now the minimum requirement is High Sierra – but many people in these forums have reported problems when trying to manage iPhones running iOS 17 with High Sierra.

Yosemite is also too old to work with any of the iCloud features, like iCloud Photos. El Captain is the minimum. (It's not recent enough to support all iCloud features, but it supports some of them.)

System requirements for iCloud - Apple Support

iPad and iPhone management aside, you have another problem.

I believe that Yosemite may predate the change to use a stronger implementation of https security. If so, you are likely to run into problems getting Safari to connect to many modern Web sites. Even if it can connect,, it may not be able to render a lot of modern Web sites properly.

Oldest Macbook That Will Link to iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.