You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing an image sequence in Motion with a longer version of the same image sequence

Motion drives me mad for this: I render out CG animations to image sequences. This takes a long time, and in After Effects I was able to load in a sequence – say 100 frames – while the render was still running. Then later on, I could re-import the same sequence but with more frames – say 200 – overwriting the earlier files(s), and so on. However in Motion, when I go to Replace Media it does just that: replaces the current frames with the exact same frames, even though in the same folder there will be many more frames, and the file is referenced as name[####] rather than specific frame numbers.

In short: is there a way to replace the current image sequence with the same sequence but with more frames? Thanks!

Posted on Aug 28, 2024 5:03 AM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2024 9:54 AM in response to Darth Mole

The easiest thing to do is simply import the second sequence by itself — don't try to *replace* the original. You can just delete the original, or if you need it, turn off its visibility (the checkmark on the left side of its layer.)

Be aware that if your original project is only 100 frames long, the 200 frame sequence will not retime/resize your project — you will have to do that manually. That's easy enough to do by clicking the small clock icon on the right side of the time clock. The "hands" will change from blue to white. You can select Frames from the downward pointing caret and type in the number of frames you want the project to be. Click the clock again to go back to a "play clock".

If you reset the time length, you will probably need to reset layer lengths as well (in most cases). Place the playhead on the last frame of your project and go through your layers list and type 'O' to set new Out Points.

HTH

Replacing an image sequence in Motion with a longer version of the same image sequence

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.