You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why is Apple Music on desktop dampening audio EQ from songs, even with a flat EQ from Apple Music? Shouldn't that sound like the raw file?

I'm an audiophile, music maker, and a DJ, so I take it very seriously when a media player starts messing around with the EQ from songs.

I recently got a song that has a very distinct bass that growls. Online it has a solid sound, but when I played it in Apple Music... it felt flat. Like the bass and kick was being softened with a rag.

So, being that I make music, I messed around with the song in Audacity, the Adobe Audition, and even VLC player, and ALL of them sounded GREAT! Bass was nice and fat, plus the kick just KICKED! Just made want to get up and dance. Even when I play it through Native Instruments Traktor it sounds better, not "great" (which is a bit concerning), but still better.

So what's the issue here with Apple Music?

I shouldn't need to fuss with Apple Music EQ to get the raw audio coming through the app on desktop as is, so what gives? I've been having an ongoing issue with Apple Music just not feeling right, and this situation was the easiest to diagnose as an issue, but I don't know how to fix Apple Music without needlessly tinkering with the EQ window. I just want to hear the music as is, that's all.

I don't expect the community to have an answer for this per se, but just as a heads up to Apple, you can do better, or at least I assume you can.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Aug 29, 2024 4:57 PM

1 reply

Why is Apple Music on desktop dampening audio EQ from songs, even with a flat EQ from Apple Music? Shouldn't that sound like the raw file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.