You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Where in finder can I see items on my startup disk (My Macintosh HD

After a difficult transfer to a new Mac Studio with a smaller hard drive and a huge external drive, I want to maintain my internal drive as startup drive. Its been suggested by the local genius, that with the identity on the startup drive, all it needs is the Application folder on startup drive and the remainder can be stored on external after re-pointing locations. But I cannot see my Macintosh HD in Finder to transfer the Applications folder from the external drive to the startup drive. Why isn't this easier?

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Aug 29, 2024 5:15 PM

4 replies

Sep 13, 2024 9:47 AM in response to MMinion

MMinion wrote:

I want to maintain my internal drive as startup drive.

This is absolutely necessary for the M-series Macs or you will likely encounter problems at some point.

Its been suggested by the local genius, that with the identity on the startup drive, all it needs is the Application folder on startup drive and the remainder can be stored on external after re-pointing locations.

Do not relocate the home user folder at all or you will most likely encounter unexpected problems.

However, you can easily store any regular data files onto other media (external USB/Thunderbolt drives, network shares, etc.). You can also relocate the various macOS Libraries (Music, Photos, Videos, etc.) to external media since Apple provides instructions for doing so which means it is an option which Apple currently supports. See this Apple article for details...there is mention of Photos & Videos/Movies part way down the page:

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 29, 2024 10:15 PM in response to MMinion

If you go into Finder > Settings… and click on the General tab, you can choose which items to show on the Desktop.

When Macs first came out, they always showed icons for disks on the Desktop. Some time during the Mac OS X / macOS years, Apple decided to get cute and hide icons by default. If you go into Finder Settings / General – then check off [X] Hard disks and [X] External disks – you can get the old behavior back.

(Macs don't ship with hard disks any more, but the Finder still uses the term "Hard disks" in its dialog, and calls the internal startup disk "Macintosh HD".)

Where in finder can I see items on my startup disk (My Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.