You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Mini M1 is OK, but there is tinted/black screen area

I was working on my Mac, but had to put it to sleep for 20 minutes to help my wife, but when I came back, it woke-up with a tinted/black screen area covering the otherwise no problem Mac.

I was able to do what I wanted, but could not see clear through this vail like rectangular area.

I started my other MacBook computer but found no real help or answer to this strange event.

I had shut my Mac mini and left it for some time, and came back to the problem, but it was gone and the Mac was working as expected, without hiding most of the screen in that TINT.

Before it come again, I like to know WHY and HOW TO AVOID such wires events on Apple computers?

I have the latest OS on my Mac, and this event was a little time after I had visited APPLE APP-STORE to get a free app.

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 31, 2024 6:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2024 7:35 AM

Hi there, not enough info to go on...

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info. Give it Full Disk Access.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Give etrecheck Full Disk Access before running.

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

Slow iMac 2017 - Apple Community

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 31, 2024 7:35 AM in response to AmnonMikeCohen

Hi there, not enough info to go on...

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info. Give it Full Disk Access.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Give etrecheck Full Disk Access before running.

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

Slow iMac 2017 - Apple Community

Aug 31, 2024 10:15 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks, I shall do as you suggest, in hope it does not come my way again.

As you may note in my case, by shutting the Mac off and leaving it for some time, it has started as usual without the problem.

Most cases, people think I had no screen or just see black, but in fact the Mac was working well without my being able to see clear through the VAIL which was covering about 80% of the screen.

Aug 31, 2024 10:31 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, and I did run Disk First Aid in case it can find/fix it but Disk Firs Aid reported all is well..

I am running all AVG protection, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tune Up, and keep the system clean on each startup including Deep Scan from time to time. I do not think this was part of the problem, because the computer was working properly, and this was after I got 3 apps from the Apple Store which I assumed may have had something to do about the problem — but from my research on the www, it may have been related to overheating as suggested by some advisors, so I selected to Shut the computer and leave it for a while — and after starting about half an hour later, there was no problem of what I call A VAIL window covering 80% of the screen.

If it comes again, I shall produce a screenshot so people will be able to see what I call a Vail window.

Since 1984 I am used to operating Macs without problems...

My Mac Mini M1 is OK, but there is tinted/black screen area

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.