You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Question about Mac Mini and TVs

I currently have an iMac linked to my TV through an HDMI cabe (using a third party multi-hub) This works well when using then TV as an extra screen. However, when trying to watch Apple TV videos which I have bought and downloaded, most (but not all) of them show a blank screen.

I also have an Apple TV box (HiDef, not 4K) which will link to the computer to show those films/TV programmes. However, if doing something else on the computer (eg an online back-up) thias option ranges from slow to inoperable.

I am thinking of getting a Mac Mini as my main source for watching films and V programmes without streaming (exceptionally environment unfriendly) as it has its own HMDI socket.

Does anyone know if I can use the TV as the main monitor and therefore use it for watching films and TV programmes directly from the Mac Mini?

(For anyone thinking that streaming is best, if you listen to an album 7 times through Spotify (the worst streaming platform for the artists involved) it takes more energy worldwide than buying and playing the CD. Imagine what it’d be like for video!)

Posted on Sep 1, 2024 3:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2024 6:22 AM

You can connect the mini to any TV with an HDMI socket and use the TV as a monitor.

I have used my 55" TV for video editing and playing videos on the mini . . . although it's not something I do regularly!

2 replies

Sep 1, 2024 7:42 AM in response to Peter from Cambridge

Yes, you can do this. To the Mini, the TV is just a display same as any other computer display would be. Except that with an HDMI connection you also get audio.

I have a Mac Mini connected to my Sony Bravia TV as its only display. The Mini serves as my media hub and is a central component of my home theater. We use it for movies, videos, streaming, slide shows and video calls. Been doing that for 10 years, never had a problem.

Regarding home theater, I also have the Mini connected to my Yamaha audio receiver. Depending on the source we get excellent audio in stereo, Dolby ProLogic or 5.1 surround sound. (Although the 5.1 can be iffy due to limitations from the streaming sources. For example, some Disney+ movies are 5.1 but most are not and Disney isn't always clear about what is vs. what isn't. Same with other venues.)

Question about Mac Mini and TVs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.