You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Music not syncing via iCloud.

To sell an old iPod, I tried resetting and erasing it. Accidentally I erased all music from the iMac Air it was attached to. The music then disappeared from my iPhone and iPad Pro. But fortunately, my iMac still had the music on it. But when I turn syncing on, it syncs, but after that the music just doesn't appear on any other device.

Rebooting, logging in and out of iCloud hasn't solved the issue .....

Posted on Sep 2, 2024 10:10 AM

14 replies

Sep 3, 2024 6:23 AM in response to sberman

I do! But it's just not working (???) I see the synching message at the bottom, but it only syncs a few songs (ones that I bought via iTunes??) but not the ones I uploaded myself.

I used to use iTunes Match but stopped that recently because I trusted Apple Music to perform the same service. I am very disappointed with the cost of Apple Music vs the functionality

Sep 3, 2024 1:30 PM in response to Warner in Amsterdam

Warner in Amsterdam wrote:

I used to use iTunes Match but stopped that recently because I trusted Apple Music to perform the same service.

That explains your issue!

iTunes Match keeps whatever you had in your iTunes collection on your computer, looks for better fidelity in the iTunes Store, and stores the results in iCloud so you can access them on all your Apple products.

Apple Music, on the other hand, relies solely on the iTunes Store to access music. One of the advantages of that approach is any music released today will be immediately available on all your Apple products. A disadvantage, as you are experiencing, is music not in the iTunes Store is simply not available.

Sep 3, 2024 1:54 PM in response to Warner in Amsterdam

Warner in Amsterdam wrote:

But the majority of my music is available in iTunes Apple Music. Shouldn’t that sync?

I’m completely confused.

In your previous post you said:

”I see the synching message at the bottom, but it only syncs a few songs (ones that I bought via iTunes??) but not the ones I uploaded myself.”

So as I explained, the iTunes music should sync as you said it does, while omitting songs you uploaded.

Sep 8, 2024 2:02 AM in response to Warner in Amsterdam

Here's what I now know happened:

My partner had iTunes Match and ccelled that.

I then got iTunes match myself, so this was active.

I deleted music on my Mac air, and then all music disappeared on my iPad, iPhone. So iTunes did me that 'service'

But it didn't delete the music on my iMac.

Somehow it just doesn't 'see' the uses that is on there ( a ton of CDs I digitised some time ago.

What can I do??? I am thinking to export all my music and the reimport it somehow. What is a good way to try that????

Sep 8, 2024 1:39 PM in response to sberman

Of course each Mac and device is only associated with one Aplle ID. But we do share subscriptions via family sharing.

anyway, I seen to have solved the issue. On my Mac Air I found the music files in a set of folders that Music wasn’t looking at. I deleted the Music file and replaced it with the one with all my music. Then everything started syncing again as it should. Only my artwork isn’t what it should be but will try to fix that later.

thanks for ur help!

Music not syncing via iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.