You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Horizontal Lines on Screen of iMac, 24", 2021

A continuation of closed topic: Persistent horizontal lines appear on iMa… - Apple Community

This morning, horizontal lines appeared across the lower 2/3 of the screen on my iMac computer, purchased in August of 2021. It happened the morning after an auto-update to Sonoma 14.6.1, but after reading the "Persistent horizontal lines appear on iMac screen" feed in the Community forum, I saw that it was a common hardware issue with the new silicon iMac computers.

The lines downgrade the font quality, and they flicker making using the computer hard on the eyes. This definitely interferes with my work. I have already posted feedback to Apple on https://apple.com/feedback/imac

My iMac is no longer under warrantee, but with this being a common occurrence with the silicon iMacs, I am hoping that Apple will stand by its products and its good name by either repairing or replacing the computer at no cost to the consumer.

iMac 24″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 2, 2024 10:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2024 11:14 AM

+ 1 I keep watching for it in the extended Apple Service Programs.

Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

13 replies

Oct 16, 2024 7:50 AM in response to somedayicanfly

Did you take your iMac into the Genius Bar yet? How did that go?

I encourage you to do this so that it is another case added to their records. Refer to the earlier post, "Persistent horizontal lines appear on iMa… - Apple Community" especially to those by IatVm and Jotap62. It will help you present a good argument. I was offered a discount on a new computer, but not on the repair. Although it wasn't the solution I was looking for, getting the new computer at least allowed me to put Apple Care on it.

Oct 20, 2024 8:35 AM in response to Michael Reid

For additional context, I have the following iMac:

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021)

• Ports: Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports, Two USB 3 ports
  • Chip: 8-core CPU (4 p-cores, 4 e-cores), 8-core GPU
  • Storage: 1TB SSD storage
  • Memory: 16GB unified memory

Ordered on: May 12, 2021

In terms of my exact symptoms, I don't think it's dead pixels. When I run a dead pixel test, I see two distinct issues:

• Along the bottom rows of pixels, there are three or four alternating black horizontal lines extending across the entire screen, just below the dock
  • In the lower right section of the screen, from the base of the dock up to about 20% to 25% of the display, thicker light grey lines are visible, primarily on the right side. These lines add a textured appearance to the folders in the dock and are especially noticeable on an all-white background

Horizontal Lines on Screen of iMac, 24", 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.