You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Difficulty transferring data from iMac to Mac mini

Even though I loved the all-in-one design of my iMac 2013, I recently broke down and purchased a Mac mini. My issue is I can’t seem to transfer files from my iMac to mini. I purchased a thunderbolt connector at the suggestion of both the sales agent at Best Buy and what it recommends in the Mac mini info, but it doesn’t fit into my iMac. I tried to circumvent this by attempting to download with iCloud, but when I click on migration assistant, that option doesn’t appear. It simply says it’s looking for other sources, but never does. If I click on continue, it says the selected source cannot be used for migration because the volume contains an installation which may be damaged.

I can’t find the damaged files in disk utility. I am sure that has more to do with my lack of knowledge than anything else, but here I am, stuck!

Because of the nature of my old Mac, I can’t seem

to have the option of a workable mouse on both screens, which I think may be a part of the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 14.5

Posted on Sep 2, 2024 12:17 PM

4 replies

Sep 2, 2024 12:26 PM in response to boadoreen

Your iMac from 2013 does indeed have Thunderbolt ports, so if what you got doesn't fit, most likely you were sold the wrong thing. All you should need is a Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt cable.

To transfer files between systems, you can connect them directly together with that Thunderbolt cable. If you purchased a new Mac mini with Apple Silicon, see:

Transfer files between a Mac with Apple silicon and another Mac - Apple Support (UZ)

If the mini is an older Intel-based model, see:

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support (UZ)

You can also use an external storage device such as hard drive or flash drive, or use iCloud Drive if you've signed up for that.

Regards.

Difficulty transferring data from iMac to Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.