You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Studio Display Resolution for computer with no display

How do I set the display resolution for a Studio computer with no monitor attached? The Display settings gives me only one resolution option 1920x1080.

When I connect with another computer with two monitors (5120-x2800 and 2560x1440 resolutions) the Screen Sharing will not 'full screen' the display. The maximum screen size is only about 2/3 of the available screen space.

Posted on Sep 3, 2024 4:49 AM

10 replies

Sep 3, 2024 8:11 AM in response to Nicholas James

Nicholas James wrote:

How do I set the display resolution for a Studio computer with no monitor attached? The Display settings gives me only one resolution option 1920x1080.

Connect your external Display(s) directly to the Mac Studio.

see > Connect a display to Mac Studio - Apple Support

When I connect with another computer with two monitors (5120-x2800 and 2560x1440 resolutions) the Screen Sharing will not 'full screen' the display. The maximum screen size is only about 2/3 of the available screen space.

If you are trying to use an iMac as a work center with Screen Sharing or using the iMac as a second display?

You should give up that idea, setup the Mac Studio as your main work center and get a second external display if needed.

Sep 3, 2024 10:38 AM in response to BDAqua

Now that is an excellent looking solution - and low cost too ! Does it work?

View a remote machine's desktop like you were sitting right in front of a connected display

Running your Mac or PC "headless" (no keyboard, mouse or monitor) is a great way to turn a machine into a network file and/or media server. Small form factor machines like the Mac mini or Intel NUC – as well the compact cylindrical Mac Pro 2013 - are ideal for placing into a space confined closet or rack. Remote accessing these machines used to mean being limited to viewing a hard to view, low resolution screen…even if you used an older monitor connected to the remote machine. With the NewerTech HDMI Headless 4K Display Emulator, you can now break free of limited 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024 (or 1920x1080) resolution headaches when accessing macOS, Windows, and Linux machines remotely while viewing the desktop with up to full 4K 4096 x 2160 resolution.

Remote viewing options
* Operate machine headless and accept the resolution the machine will deliver. Uncertain and possibly frustrating outcome because various machines and/or operating systems will default in to lowest possible resolution and perhaps no display at all.

* Use older monitor but be limited to low resolution display. Far from ideal.

* Use newer, high resolution monitor. Cost prohibitive for the limited use.

* Use extremely affordable, benchmark tested proven NewerTech HDMI Headless 4K Display Emulator and enjoy up to 4096 x 2160 Ultra High Definition resolution.

Sep 3, 2024 6:19 AM in response to Nicholas James

Readers can not see what is connected to what in your setup. Please elaborate. What Macs? what displays?

if you need rule to follow when writing this description, try NOT using ANY pronouns. Each item is specified with that item's noun. The resulting description may sound unusual, but that description will be unusually clear.

Sep 3, 2024 10:46 AM in response to den.thed

Excellent idea. I think perhaps I could take the server into the Apple Store - get them to connect me to a monitor there. Then once it has been used, the files should be in the appropriate library. (oh wait. I had a LG TV hooked up initially through the HDMI port. It does not show that setup, so that idea probably does not work).

That was my initial idea, but the monitor refused to work with the Studio. So the work around has been to use the Studio headless and remote connect into it from the older iMac.

Sep 3, 2024 11:10 AM in response to BDAqua

A dongless option perhaps? BetterDisplay

Pro version costs $19.

Using the free version and it made a massive improvement in the display.

Why your external monitor looks awful on Arm-based Macs, the open source fix – and the guy who wrote it
Q&A with the developer of BetterDummy: from macOS secrets to his motivations

By Fernando Cassia
Dec 06, 2021

Interview Folks who use Apple Silicon-powered Macs with some third-party monitors are disappointed with the results: text and icons can appear too tiny or blurry, or the available resolutions are lower than what the displays are capable of.
It took an open source programmer working in his spare time to come up with a workaround that doesn't involve purchasing a hardware dongle to fix what is a macOS limitation.

István Tóth lives in Hungary, and called his fix BetterDummy. It works by creating a virtual display in software and then mirroring that virtual display to the real one, to coax macOS into playing ball. The latest version, 1.0.12, was released just a few days ago, and the code is free and MIT licensed.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/03/apple_m1_drivers

Sep 3, 2024 11:38 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you sir.

Hmm. I will double check with them before I buy. They do not list the Studio computer.

I had gotten the $50 Thunderbolt adaptor to get the old Thunderbolt display to work... and nada. Just a blank screen. They don't list the Studio either. The adaptor and cable worked with the MacBook Pro, so it was not a hardware issue.

Thunderbolt Display:

Display Type: LCD
 Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)
 UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440
 Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
 Display Serial Number: C02G6AX6DJGR
 Mirror: Off
 Online: Yes
 Rotation: Supported
 Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes
 Connection Type: Thunderbolt/DisplayPort

Sep 3, 2024 2:03 PM in response to Nicholas James

Nicholas James wrote:

I had gotten the $50 Thunderbolt adaptor to get the old Thunderbolt display to work... and nada. Just a blank screen. They don't list the Studio either. The adaptor and cable worked with the MacBook Pro, so it was not a hardware issue.

That is a 27" Thunderbolt Display, right? The one that has Firewire 800 and Gigabit Ethernet hub ports – and whose "hydra" cable has only two heads: Thunderbolt (mDP connector) and MagSafe?

That adapter would not be appropriate for the similar 27" Apple LED Cinema Display, whose "hydra" cable has three heads: Mini DisplayPort, USB, and HDMI; and which requires (Mini) DisplayPort input.

Studio Display Resolution for computer with no display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.