You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac studio not detecting display

Mac studio (m2MAX) not detecting 4th display

everytime i restart or turn of my mac studio my 4th display will not show up. i usually let the mac sleep within 20-30min it detects the 4th display and it will keep it detecting unless the mac restarts... with the new update i cannot get my mac to detect my 4th display

i have called apple 2 times and they are no help... they keep on saying it might be a cable issue but if that was the case that display would not work no matter what display i try as the 4th display it never shows up.

Mac Studio, macOS 15.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2024 1:54 PM

5 replies

Sep 3, 2024 4:23 PM in response to emanuele1019

Swapping cables around is a hedge against a cable that is broken. It does not help if your cable does not meet the requirements to run your display at your desired resolution, completely error-free.

Having the connection be flaky does indeed suggest that your cables may not be adequate, because what shuts down the display connection is if it generates errors in transmission. A cable that is pretty good, but not quite good enough, can do exactly that.

What resolution display, and what cables are you using to connect it, and how long is that cable?

Sep 3, 2024 2:05 PM in response to emanuele1019

Well, it actually is possible that it's the cable; if the cable is below spec (as many cables are despite their claims), it might allow the display to be detected sometimes but not others. If you have or can borrow another cable, preferably of a different brand, it would be worth trying, at least. It also can depend on cable length; the cable for a high-end display should be less than 3 meters.

There's some additional discussion on the issue, with some other things to possibly try, in this Community thread:

All 4 external displays on Mac Studio ran… - Apple Community

Regards.

Sep 3, 2024 2:34 PM in response to emanuele1019

Cables that are of iffy spec can have all sorts of unintended consequences. But if you've tried other cables that are of an appropriate length and which have come from reliable vendors (and off-brand cables that might have some from some unknown Chinese vendor from Amazon are not reliable vendors), then the cable would seem not to be the issue.

There are some other suggestions in the thread I linked to. Perhaps something there will help. The only other thing I can think of to suggest would be to swap the current fourth monitor with one of the others and see if the problem persists with that fourth display or moves with the specific monitor. That would provide some additional clues.

Regards.

Sep 3, 2024 9:13 PM in response to varjak paw

yes all normal size cables and it moves from monitor to monitor if i unplug monitor 2 monitor 4 will come on and vise versa no matter which monitor is the so called 4th monitor it will not turn on... all running low res also i updated to sequoia 15.1 this problem was on previous normal version but letting the mac sleep would let it find the 4th screen.

Mac studio not detecting display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.