You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual monitor on mac mini M2 pro gpu/vram use

Hi,

just wondering 'cause I found no satisfying answer...I recently attached a second 27" monitor. to my Mac Mini M² Pro mainly for use with Blender 3d. The first (5k) is connected trough Display port and the second (HD) trough HDMI. Is the memory divided over the 2 monitors, even when the second one is turned off (not in sleep), but connected? I suppose MacOS is clever enough to only gives memory to the second screen when it get the request/signal from the HDMI interface? Like with a tv that switches HDMI ports when it gets a signal on another port.

However, I have the impression that my 5K screen is much smoother when I actually disconnect the HDMI cable. It only takes a few seconds, but still, if not necessary to connect and disconnect the HDMI blindsight, I would prefer just to be able to turn the screen on/off, without losing meory for the main screen (especially when scrolling in huge files in Photoshop (for which i only use the 5k monitor).

Many thanks in advance

Posted on Sep 5, 2024 6:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2024 7:50 AM

On Dell monitors, the power buttton does not switch off power to the monitor, just the display. I suspect likewise with most others. Yanking the cable is best, I’d stick with it.

2 replies

Dual monitor on mac mini M2 pro gpu/vram use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.