You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac Mini running Sonoma 14.6.1 keeps ejecting external hard drives randomly

My Mac Mini running Sonoma 14.6.1 keeps ejecting external hard drives randomly and improperly. It has happened with two identical Samsung T7 Shield SSD's, to the point where one is now corrupted and won’t mount. I thought it was a problem with the external drive, but I just purchased a SanDisk Extreme SSD and it’s doing the same thing to it. I am trying to restore files backed up online, but I can’t get through the 11-hour process without the Mac ejecting the drive midway through. I use one SSD external drive for my photo and music library, and the other for Time Machine, and this is such an issue that I can’t use either one. I have the OS set to never put disk to sleep, never turn on the screensaver, never do anything when the monitor is asleep/off (I’m turning them monitor off manually). What is the fix?

Mac mini

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 6:04 PM

5 replies

Sep 9, 2024 7:51 PM in response to BDAqua

They’re both USB-C plugged directly, individually, into two separate ports on the back of the Mac Mini using the original manufacturer’s cables.

Both require 896mA

Both have 900mA available

As a test, I plugged a brand-new SanDisk Extreme SSD HD directly into the back of the Mac Mini to replace the Samsung T7 that has failed. I attempted to restore the files I have backed up online via iDrive. iDrive indicated that it would take ~10 hours, so I walked away. 2.5 hours later I went to check the progress, and again the Mac had two messages that indicated both the Samsung T7 SSD that I use for Time Machine and the brand new SanDisk Extreme SSD that was in the process of being written to had been ejected improperly. The screen and the computer were both still on. I live alone with no pets, and the cables were all firmly connected. Both disks were reformatted in APFS first thing, prior to use.

Mac Mini running Sonoma 14.6.1 keeps ejecting external hard drives randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.