You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

can't configure outlook with custom email address

On my Apple Subscription I am using a custom Email domain. I want to use MS Outlook with my icloud account using my custom domain. I have created an App Password for outlook. In outlook I add my account and select icloud as the mail provider. Then I am giving my custom e-mail address and the app password I have generated. Then I get an authentication error.

If I retry, and use my ...@icloud.com e-mail address (and the same app password) it works ! But I am unable to send e-mails using my custom e-mail address.

Side note: I am using my custom e-mail address as my Apple ID and it woks when logging in on the icloud.com web site. It is just that the mail servers are unable to signing me in using my apple ID which happens to be my custom e-mail address... Can you fix that ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 3:16 AM

6 replies

Sep 10, 2024 3:37 AM in response to Tomdeax2

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure I understand your suggestion. To my knowledge, if I use outlook as the provider, it means that I will use an account on outlook.com. That account will not receive the emails from my custom domain because the custom domain on icloud implies that all e-mails sent to my custom domain must be delivered to Apple servers.

That being said, maybe your are suggesting that I use my custom domain with outlook.com instead of icloud.com and use a rule on outlook.com to forward all my emails to icloud.com . That confuses me. First, outlook.com only allow custom domains for professional subscriptions (I am on a family subscription with Microsoft). Then I do not see how forwarding e-mails from one account to the other helps solving the sending issue: how can I send a mail with my custom domain in your proposed scenario ?

Sep 10, 2024 3:56 AM in response to fxcormontagne

Apologies about that.

What I was trying to say is that you can connect your Outlook account to your mail app to receive your emails directly from the mail app, or you can just download the Outlook app for Mac. (with sending functionality)

If you just want the emails to be automatically forwarded to your iCloud mail account you may do so at outlook.com under settings (cog in the top right area) -> search forwarding -> turn forwarding on -> enter your email address and save. (you may not be able to send emails from your Outlook account this way)

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and if you don't mind you could send a clearer question so I can understand your problem.

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2024 4:49 AM in response to Tomdeax2

From your previous reply, I am not sure you understood my issue.

I have acquired a domain name (say myself.com as an example). I have an iCloud+ subscription and have configured custom email domain on my icloud account. So my icloud account is now used to receive e-mails sent to me@myself.com . I can also send e-mails from me@myself.com. All this in the webmail interface on icloud.com or in the mail app on my mac.

Then I also changed my icloud account that used to be me@icloud.com into me@myself.com.

Now I would like to use the application Outlook that I have downloaded to read my mail and send mails too.

So When I start Outlook (the app) I need to add an account. It asks for my e-mail address. I enter me@myself.com but after a few seconds it does not find who is the service that hosts the mailbox with that address. So I have to manually pick the provider. I choose icloud from the list. It tells me I need an app password. I go to appleid.apple.com, I log in (by the way I log in using me@myself.com) and go to app password and create a new one. I copy/paste that password to the configuration window of outlook (the app) and after a few seconds it fails with an authentication error message.

If i redo the same steps in outlook and add me@icloud.com as a mail address and the app password created earlier then I can read my mail (sent to me@myself.com just like in apple mail app or in the webmail on the icloud web site). But each time I reply to a mail or create a new mail, the sender's address is me@icloud.com instead of me@myself.com. Looking at the properties of the mail account in outlook there is nothing I can change: it reads, account=me@icloud.com with a button to let me remove that account. Nothing else to edit.

In other words, while the icloud web site knows that me@myself.com is the same thing than me@icloud.com, this is not the case of apple mail servers when contacted by the outlook application (using me@myslef.com + the App password results in an authentication error). But when outlook is trying to connect using me@icloud.com and the very same password it works, apple mail servers grant access and I can see the very same mailbox content than in the webmail interface on the website icloud.com.

I hope I've made it clearer to understand and removed the ambiguity between outlook the app, which I try to configure, and outlook the service, which I do not use to send or receive e-mails.

can't configure outlook with custom email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.