You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can I upload my ebooks to my Apple library?

Trying to find out if I can upload MY (owned by me) ebooks (98% epub, 1%PDF, 1% other) to my Apple library. About 3500 of them. This is not a competition but I know they could be uploaded to my Kindle library for free. Then read through the Kindle app. I know I could upload them to iCloud but that would use up my storage. I’m wondering if they can be uploaded to Apple.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 1:09 PM

5 replies

Sep 17, 2024 1:16 PM in response to OnionEaters

Thanks for the explanation of what you are looking for.

As far as I know, books do not work the way you suggest or like Amazon Kindle. When you purchase one it is downloaded. The book store has a record of the purchase, so you can redownload it if for some reason you delete your local copy or get a new device. But if the author/publisher removes their book from the store, you cannot redownload it, and there is no way for anyone other than an author/publisher to upload anything to the store.

To suggest Apple move to the Amazon system, you can use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Sep 17, 2024 7:19 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

They are on an external HD plugged into my laptop. I could plug the phone into the laptop and copy them over but that would take up space on my phone. If Apple allows it I’d rather use their space not mine. I have ebooks purchased through Apple and those either sit in the cloud where I can access them through the Book app or can be downloaded to read them. I’m just looking to use their space. Not the space on my phone or my iCloud account. For now it looks like I can add books to my library, but I’m wondering if there is a limit. They take up about 100 Gb of room.

Sep 17, 2024 11:28 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Just as with anything you buy, a book, a movie, music, it is on Apple’s servers, not yours. Unless you download it. If you buy a movie for example it is there to stream or download. If you don’t download it it still shows up in your library (Apple’s servers) not on your device or in your iCloud account. Same with music. Let’s say you buy the entire Beatles’ catalog. It shows as Purchased if you go to iTunes and search for ‘Beatles’. You could download the catalog and that would take up space on your device. But none of it is saved to your iCloud account. So it’s either on your device or on Apple’s servers. Or both. But not in your iCloud account. Kind of like iTunes Match. If that’s still a thing. For a small fee you could upload your music (that is CDs, vinyl records, anything you ripped) to Apple. They would match it, store it, and because it was your music, all inclusive, when you went to look at YOUR library everything (not just purchases) would be listed. This was not the case for movies, that I know of, but I’m trying to find out about books. As I mentioned Amazon Kindle lets you do books in that way.

Can I upload my ebooks to my Apple library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.