You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac Mini/iMac 27* (2019) Airplay

Hi, I’ve read several threads about using a more recent iMac 27” 2019 as a display for a Mac Mini and how it cannot be done as Target Display is not enabled on later iMacs.

However why can’t airplay be used AFTER the Mini Mc has been set up on another monitor and airplay enabled or am I missing something?

1. Is this possible?
  2. If it is do I assume that I wont have to power on/log on the Mini Mac using another monitor everytime to allow the airplay?
  3. I don't play games, but is there significant lag?

Apologies if an answer has already been given but I’ve only seen one question about using Airplay to display a Mac Mini on an Imac, which was not answered correctly (the answer morphed to about Target Display so missed the point), most are about Target Display which i know doesnt apply to my iMac

Thanks for any enlightenment

iMac 27″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 11, 2024 6:18 AM

9 replies

Sep 11, 2024 7:00 AM in response to sounds2000

I imagine Airplay could work.

The following older iMac models can be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model.

iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.

24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Mini DisplayPort cable.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Sep 12, 2024 5:39 AM in response to sounds2000

One option no one has brought up is Screen Sharing. You enable Screen Sharing on the Mini and then you connect via your ethernet network with the iMac. You still need separate keyboard, mouse and display to initially set things up but after that you should be able to run the Mini "headless".

At least gigabit ethernet network is required for best results unless you have a very reliable latest and greatest ludicrous speed WiFi.

This will generally work just fine for most everyday things but will not really be suitable for any intense graphics or gaming. But if your use requires more CPU power and not so much graphics this could be a solution.

In the end though, a dedicated display is really the only long term solution in terms of function as well as energy use (iMacs suck a lot of power compared to just a display) if using the Mini as a primary computer. So, you can always sell the iMac, give it to someone in your family or extended family, or donate it to an organization in need of a computer.

Sep 11, 2024 7:19 AM in response to sounds2000

sounds2000 wrote:

1. Hi, I’ve read several threads about using a more recent iMac 27” 2019 as a display for a Mac Mini and how it cannot be done as Target Display is not enabled on later iMacs.

Correct.

1. However why can’t airplay be used AFTER the Mini Mc has been set up on another monitor and airplay enabled or am I missing something?

Airplay won't start automatically when you turn on the Mac mini. You need to turn it on, log in, and engage it from the Control Center evert time.

Is this possible?

No. Not really.

2. If it is do I assume that I wont have to power on/log on the Mini Mac using another monitor everytime to allow the airplay?

Nope. You need to start airplay every time if you shut down the Mac mini.

3. I don't play games, but is there significant lag?

If you don't play games, there should not be much lag no.

Honestly it will be easier to just get a cheap display and use that with the Mac Mini.

At the end of the day, an iMac is not a substitute for a display.

Sep 11, 2024 7:01 AM in response to sounds2000

Sorry, I'm not completely clear on your setup and what exactly you wish to do, but I'll try to offer some thoughts.

First, if you want to use your iMac's screen, you need to have set the iMac up as an AirPlay receiver:

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay Receiver - Apple Support (LB)

Have you done that? If so, what happens when you try to AirPlay to it from your Mac mini? And what model of Mac mini is it and what version of macOS is it running?

AirPlay does have some lag, so it's not really suitable for uses where the timing of an input is critical.

I hope this helps. If not, please post back with more details.

Regards.

Sep 11, 2024 7:23 AM in response to sounds2000

Using AirPlay only allows you use the iMac as a Receiver, not as a true Display for the Mac mini.

see > Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay Receiver - Apple Support

and > Use your Mac as a display - Apple Support

If you have or purchase a Mac mini, you should get and use 1 or 2 aftermarket external displays.

see > Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

Sep 11, 2024 8:43 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for your replies.

I believe Phil0124 has answered the questions however to answer some of the questions in the other replies.

I like my iMac screen, I really don't want to sell my iMac (running Sonoma, 16gb ram), and was thinking of buying a new Mini Mac or a Macbook as an upgrade.

I was settling on a Mini Mac due to it being more bang for my buck or in my case pound.

I assume all the issues Phil0124 mentioned would be the same except it would be easier to start airplay up on a Macbook each time.

Mac Mini/iMac 27* (2019) Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.