You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

What is this warning/error message box that keeps popping up even when Chrome is not open on my Mac?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 11, 2024 10:19 AM

4 replies

Sep 14, 2024 9:16 AM in response to dsamuel24

I've done some perusing elsewhere on this forum and came across an idea. As I've stated – I have never had google chrome on any of my machines but a couple of years ago I did try google earth for a while then attempted to delete it. Some process wants to open a chrome extension. What process would want that – perhaps some remnant of google earth?

I went to:

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

~/Library/LaunchAgents

There I found several files with google in the name that have no business being there and deleted them. Hopefully this does the trick!

Oct 19, 2024 11:36 AM in response to Westy-67

No unfortunately – it still occurs but perhaps less frequently – every couple of weeks or so.

So my previous idea does not cure it. I did come across another potential clue. According to this article

some other malicious code may be trying to use chrome extensions for nefarious reasons. The question remains: From where is it acting? To what ends? How to find and neutralise it?

[Edited by Moderator]

What is this warning/error message box that keeps popping up even when Chrome is not open on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.