You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

M2 Max studio beachballing and crashing

I recently purchased a Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB RAM, 2TB HD, running Sonoma 14.6.1. It runs incredibly slow. It beachballs often, even crashed when running Final Cut Pro. Nothing was migrated over, it was set up as a new machine.

When I run disk utility. It comes up with: "The volume /dev/rdisk3s5 with UUID 612D7CCB-8C92-4A89-A038-C15CCAB07C81 was found to be corrupt and needs to be repaired."

Followed by:

Verifying allocated space.

Performing deferred repairs.

The volume /dev/rdisk3s5 with UUID 612D7CCB-8C92-4A89-A038-C15CCAB07C81 appears to be OK.

I've tried running it again in Safe Mode. No joy. Also ran Etre Check, the report is pasted below.

I've even tried booting up with the hardware test it says everything is fine. Very frustrating.

Thanks for any input

Dennis

Mac Studio, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 12, 2024 2:21 AM

1 reply

Sep 12, 2024 7:49 AM in response to DLeavell

if you drive loaded with data when nearly new can not pass Disk Utility repair without error, it will NOT get better with age. you need to re-image that drive with a good directory.

I recommend you make certain you have a Trusted backup of everything you want to keep.

then 'Erase all content and settings' using ONLY the procedure shown in this article:

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

When this has completed, run Disk Utility Repair on the nearly empty drive. if it fails, you can try re-installing MacOS again, right over the previous version. If it still fails, your Mac need service.

when you re-install, there are serval items you should omit:

tunnelBear VPN -- user-installed VPNs are generally so problematic you get NO added value. They never provide any additional security over what MacOS already provides.

ADB -- not signed software says the developer is not serious about being a legitimate Apple Developer. Why would you install inherently untrusted software on your otherwise well protected Macintosh computer?

M2 Max studio beachballing and crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.