You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Music can't find my music files on external drive

I had about 2Tb of music files [classical music, mostly uploads, some purchased and some personal recordings] all curated in playlists [by Composer / Work / Performer etc] and stored on an external HD.

Today this failed [see below *]. I've been a chorister for 60 years – music is in my soul, so this matters to me.

Fortunately I have a backup [complete and updated just 12hrs ago]. So I went in to Music Settings and changed the Music Media folder location to point to the folder containing the backup files. A quick Get Info tells me there are 58k items using 2Tb on disk

However, when I look at any playlist, the tracks all show the dreaded ! symbol – can't be found.

Manual re-naming of every track is obviously not an option, so how do I re-connect them en masse?

*The HD is an elderly but hitherto highly reliable LaCie P9230 USB drive [5Tb]. Today it didn't mount, so I disconnected / reconnected first the power lead then the USB. It whirred briefly, made a few clicks and then fell silent. Doesn't show in Disk Utility.

Help!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 13, 2024 12:44 AM

1 reply

Music can't find my music files on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.