You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac Music Problems Changing Smart Playlist and Playlist Folder Names

I've just started getting this odd problem. When I edit the name of a smart playlist or a playlist folder then the name change shows up OK at the top of the playlist when I'm looking at it but the change doesn't happen in the sidebar, where the playlist shows the name before the edit. If I quit Music and re-open then the name reverts to before the edit.

It's not all smart playlists and the only common theme seems to be that it's a problem with empty smart playlists (e.g. condition such as all 5 star tracks played less than 76 times is empty cos they've all played 76 times), but once the list is empty it sticks. i.e. in the example above I can edit the smart conditions to <78 times, which populates the playlist but if I change the name it exhibits the above behaviour - i.e. doesn't display in side bar and reverts both the name change and the smart conditions on restarting Music.

Additionally, when I make the name change then track-history metadata stops updating. So after I've edited the name as above then the tracks which play subsequently (in any playlist, not just the one edited) don't update their play count or last played date. I have to quit Music and re-start at which point the metadata updates as expected, but any play data since the edit and before Music was restarted are lost.

I've tried quitting and restarting Music, rebooting the Mac, booting into safe mode and run disc utility first aid. It's only just started happening today, so it's not related to a software update, unless a security update went in recently (I have those on automatic).

I have the same problem trying to change the name of playlist folders. Non-smart playlists seem to be OK, but I don't really use them so haven't spent as much time testing them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Sep 14, 2024 12:13 PM

8 replies

Sep 29, 2024 12:18 PM in response to Zurarczurx

Same here! Playlist renaming is bugged, metadata updating is bugged, the app forgetting all recent changes on restart....all the same. Plus a number of other problems with the interface: start a playlist on track 1 and don't move the mouse. The blue icon showing which track is playing will stay on track 1 as it plays through track 2, 3, 4....until you move the mouse/cursor over the track names. Try to sync the iPhone and the app is telling it that the playlists are the same as they were weeks ago, not showing anything up-to-the-moment....making syncing not worth it. Plenty of other problems too....all starting about a month or two ago. Both on a 2019 MacBook Pro and a brand new 2024 MacBook Pro. Frustrating.

Sep 29, 2024 1:05 PM in response to alanblack

Sorry, didn't mean to give you false hope. What I meant was that by restarting Music you can re-start the metadata updates, but you're right, you do lose everything since it last glitched. I've got a smart playlist that shows everything played today sorted by most recently played. I keep an eye on it a few times a day and if it's stopped updating I restart Music. Having said that, I only get the problems with the metadata if I edit the titles of any smart playlists which haven't got the automatic artwork at the top of them (the one that's got four album arts from random albums in the playlist). I've just stopped editing playlist names and I've not had any problems since.

I've just tested synch with my iPhone and that seems to be working OK for me. I synch with Mac via USB cable and File Manager. Note that I don't have any downloads from Apple Music - all my music is mine ripped from LPs/CDs that I own. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Bad news that you're still having problems on Sequoia. I think I'll cross my fingers and hold out for 15.1, which will no doubt be along in a few weeks.

Sep 29, 2024 2:05 PM in response to Zurarczurx

That smart playlist with the recently played tracks acting as a canary in the coal mine is a smart idea.

As far as editing playlist names: if Folder 1 holds Playlist A and I rename Playlist A, I move Playlist A into Folder B (or move all of Folder A into Folder B) then move stuff back to its original position, the playlist name change will take hold. Stupid to have to have a work-around, but there it is. It works for me. Same with deleting a playlist that still sits there like a ghost of itself….move its containing folder to another and then back and it finally vanishes.

99.9% of my music are not Apple purchases either.

My suspicion is that those of us having problems have one small thing in common….some 3rd party app, or some audio file, or something that is dropping a bug into the system.

Sep 29, 2024 3:16 PM in response to alanblack

I've got 25'000 tracks. I've got over 150 playlists, most of them are smart playlists, some depending on other smart and normal playlists. About half of them are organized in playlist folders including folders in folders.

The only app I use with Music is SmashTunes. I've tried deleting it but it didn't fix it.

I do almost all my listening via Airplay to various sound systems around the house via Apple Airports.

Sep 29, 2024 3:45 PM in response to Zurarczurx

I have 54,000 songs....in 808 playlists, in 78 folders. (Just counted, never had before.) But it's not like I just made a bunch of new playlists to cause a problem. In fact, I've been slimming down recently.

I've had my folder/playlist system for about ten years and never had a problem before.

I don't have SmashTunes. And I listen with AirPods Pro or through HomePods.

Please hear us, Apple! We need the Music app to work right when it's a big part of our lives.

Mac Music Problems Changing Smart Playlist and Playlist Folder Names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.