You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to fix the shocking problem with my Mac mini M2

Hi , I recently bought a Mac mini m2 and it's giving heavy electric shock, if you ever touch it you would feel the shock. And apple is denying the issue. What to do , it could be life threatening . I have cross checked my house wiring it's good, I have taken it to my friend's home bu still the issue persist. Entire body is giving shock

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 15, 2024 7:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2024 10:07 AM

As has been mentioned, let Apple examine the computer.

Generally speaking, a tingling sensation is not unusual for certain computers and other double-insulated devices with a metal enclosure, where a two-prong non-grounded/non-earthed mains connection is used. This effect may be more prominent in areas with 230-240 V AC mains voltage.

Someone with the necessary expertise could use a digital multimeter to measure voltage and/or current. Do NOT connect the multimeter to the mains (wall outlet/socket).

With a multimeter set to the highest AC voltage range, one test probe would touch the computer enclosure and the other a grounded/earthed object (such as a kitchen sink). The multimeter may show a voltage anywhere from a few volts to something like 100 V AC or more (at least in a 230-240 V AC country).

However, a digital multimeter has a high input impedance, so readings may be unrealistic unless an appropriate load is used. From a safety perspective, the resulting current is most important. An old article Does a "tingle" mean your appliance is dangerous by Jim Rowe in Electronics Australia, August 1988 had more about this. Newer standards/reports/articles may provide additional information.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2024 10:07 AM in response to Kricked

As has been mentioned, let Apple examine the computer.

Generally speaking, a tingling sensation is not unusual for certain computers and other double-insulated devices with a metal enclosure, where a two-prong non-grounded/non-earthed mains connection is used. This effect may be more prominent in areas with 230-240 V AC mains voltage.

Someone with the necessary expertise could use a digital multimeter to measure voltage and/or current. Do NOT connect the multimeter to the mains (wall outlet/socket).

With a multimeter set to the highest AC voltage range, one test probe would touch the computer enclosure and the other a grounded/earthed object (such as a kitchen sink). The multimeter may show a voltage anywhere from a few volts to something like 100 V AC or more (at least in a 230-240 V AC country).

However, a digital multimeter has a high input impedance, so readings may be unrealistic unless an appropriate load is used. From a safety perspective, the resulting current is most important. An old article Does a "tingle" mean your appliance is dangerous by Jim Rowe in Electronics Australia, August 1988 had more about this. Newer standards/reports/articles may provide additional information.

Sep 15, 2024 10:07 AM in response to Kricked

I seriously doubt Apple would deny an issue without first testing it in person. Have you taken your Mini to an Apple Store or authorized Apple service provider for examination and diagnostics?

Did you buy this M2 Mini used from an individual or new directly from Apple (in store or online). If new you have 14 days from the purchase date to return it. You also have a one year factory warranty that would cover repair or replacement.

So there’s something you’re not telling here about your M2 Mini. Please explain.

So if you take it a service center and they cannot reproduce the issue then there’s something else going on.

Sep 15, 2024 10:34 AM in response to den.thed

Hi,

1)Light is sufficient to showcase the current leakage, I can feel the current of i touch it.

2) Even though if I don't use any of the external device it's still same, irrespective of I use external or not.

Usb cable is fine no cut nothing, checked with another usb cable as well, my entire house wiring is fine though I've also checked it in my friend's house. I have a video on which it can be clearly seen that it's body is giving electric shocks.

Apple were denying the issues, I had to forcefully tell them it's life threatening as it's giving heavy electric shock if I touch it . Already suffered a lot , it's only 20 days old mac

How to fix the shocking problem with my Mac mini M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.