You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why are my Apple Music albums randomized after iOS 18 update?

All of my imported albums on apple music were in alphabetical order automatically but after downloading ios 18 they’re completely randomized. they’re still in alphabetical order on my macbook and won’t synchronize.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 9:47 AM

7 replies

Sep 17, 2024 11:20 PM in response to JonBot69

It seems Apple have removed a number of ways to sort out music. I like my albums sorted by year, chronologically come the oldest to the newest but the only way to sort them chronologically is from the newest to the oldest which doesn’t make sense to me.

if you sorted your albums by titles, they will be sorted alphabetically though so the option still exists by the look of it.

Sep 18, 2024 7:53 PM in response to Bruno L.

We mean the songs inside of those custom albums. For example, before IOS18 when I synced the audio files from my Mac, they would appear in alphabetical order on my iPhone and iPad. Here is an example:

A - Song 1

B - Song 2

C - Song 3

D - Song 4

...etc

However, after IOS18, the songs are no longer in alphabetical order. They are randomized. For example, this is what they show up like in IOS 18:

D - Song 4

A- Song 1

C - Song 3

B - Song 2

...etc

They still appear in alphabetical order on Mac (apparently even after updating, but I can't confirm since I don't want to update because it'll probably break something). It's very annoying because instead of looking at the album and finding the song via A-Z, I have to look through all the songs. This is especially annoying from custom albums that have many audio files.

Note: This happens when creating custom albums with custom audio files on Mac. I work with of music exported from LogicPro, so I make custom albums to organize them. Talk about a step down for a 1.7K iPhone and a 2k Mac.

Why are my Apple Music albums randomized after iOS 18 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.