You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

If I turn off sync library, and then cancel Apple music, will the remaining tracks and playlists be deleted? (Curse of a trial)

So I’m an aspiring DJ and have spent a massive amount of time downloading tracks (none of which were from the Apple Store) and creating playlists. I saw the free trial for Apple Music and thought why not, it’s just a trial. I did not realize they now essentially own my music and I will lose all of it and all my playlists unless I decide to start paying for the service forever. Im hearing conflicting things though like music not purchased from Apple, will stay on your computer or original device. But that you will lose all of your playlists? Even the ones made before the trial?I need some clear answers cause I spent so much time collecting and creating my music library and I don’t really wanna keep Apple Music, but I really don’t want to lose my music/playlists. I turned off “sync library” a few days ago, I’m wondering if I cancel the service, will those tracks and playlists that remain after turning off sync library be deleted? Again I bought none of my music through Apple and all the tracks are downloaded on my laptop. I just want to go back to how it was before this curse of a trial. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and might have answers for me. Sincerely

-appleisevil69

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 12:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 12:37 AM

When you turn off "Sync Library" and cancel your Apple Music subscription, the tracks and playlists that you added through Apple Music will become unavailable, but your personal music files (the ones you didn't buy from the Apple Store) should remain on your device. However, the playlists you created might be impacted, especially if they included tracks from Apple Music. Since you've turned off "Sync Library," your local music files should stay intact on your laptop, but it's always wise to back up your music library before canceling just to be safe. Your playlists might still be there, but any Apple Music songs in them will be grayed out and unplayable.

To be cautious, export your playlists by selecting them in iTunes/Music app and choosing "File > Library > Export Playlist," so you can recreate them later if needed.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2024 12:37 AM in response to appleisevil69

When you turn off "Sync Library" and cancel your Apple Music subscription, the tracks and playlists that you added through Apple Music will become unavailable, but your personal music files (the ones you didn't buy from the Apple Store) should remain on your device. However, the playlists you created might be impacted, especially if they included tracks from Apple Music. Since you've turned off "Sync Library," your local music files should stay intact on your laptop, but it's always wise to back up your music library before canceling just to be safe. Your playlists might still be there, but any Apple Music songs in them will be grayed out and unplayable.

To be cautious, export your playlists by selecting them in iTunes/Music app and choosing "File > Library > Export Playlist," so you can recreate them later if needed.

If I turn off sync library, and then cancel Apple music, will the remaining tracks and playlists be deleted? (Curse of a trial)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.