You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Music disappeared from Music app on desktop

I just noticed all the songs from an album consisting of 4 CDs that I ripped on this Mac Studio 6 months ago have disappeared from the Music app library. When I search in Music app by the name of the artist or the name of the album, the songs do not show up, but when I look on the computer, in that artists folder in my music library, I see all four folders of songs, 47 different files, so they are still there.

I have no idea if Music has lost other music, until I find another instance of it.

Any ideas why this happened, and may still be happening? Any way to find “missing” songs that Music has deleted?

Music app 1.4.6.32, Mac Studio Sonoma 14.6.1.

Mac Studio, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 6:57 AM

4 replies

Oct 5, 2024 2:53 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. I am looking at the link, but not sure if it applies- I am seeing my music library, and seemingly most, if not almost all, my songs. If I were to use an older library, the next most recent is June so it would not show any songs added in the past 4 months, which would be worse. And examples show iTunes, but I assume it applies to Music?

Not sure if there is something else in that post I am missing, or makes sense to try?

Oct 7, 2024 6:56 AM in response to raripps

Do you have Time Machine set up? That could potentially hold a more recent version of your library that includes the content that is now missing. As the files appear to be in the media folder you could simply use File > Add to Library to add your entire media folder. Anything not currently connected to the library will be added back into it. They will have today's date for Date Added, and won't be added into any regular playlists you might previously have put them into, but at least they'll be back in your library.

tt2

Music disappeared from Music app on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.