You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Automatic App Updates option on my App Store is missing after the iOS 18 update

Hello, i recently updated my iPhone 12 to iOS 18, and the option to allow automatic updates for the App Store is nowhere to be found. I don’t know for how long it’s been missing, i turned it off more than a year ago and never checked. It shows up when i search for it (in settings), but then it just jumps to App Store settings and nothing changes. I also encounter issues with available updates not showing up in the App Store itself (which can be solved by refreshing the page). Any help appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 2:07 PM

9 replies

Oct 19, 2024 11:52 AM in response to OmriP

Hi, i did, recently. The thing that was causing it was having an alternative App Store allowed in the settings (Epic Games in my case), as i live in the EU. Removing the developer in settings brought these settings back (maybe the app itself could continue to work?). How-to on the picture attached. Other thing could be the screen time limitation mentioned in other reply (but i assume you tried that already). I hope this helps you...

Oct 19, 2024 1:41 PM in response to r4tr4ce

OMG!! This worked! How did you figure this out? I’ve been spending hours with Apple support on the phone!

I also had an alternative App Store installed (in my case it was altstore). So are we being punished for living in the EU and having an alternative App Store installed? That’s such a weird one!

Thanks bro!

Oct 19, 2024 2:57 PM in response to OmriP

I was trying different things, since i really didn't want to factory reset and after some time, i thought maybe it could be that, that's it :D . Funny that apple support doesn't know about it. As i said, maybe the store could still be used after removing the developer (but i've uninstalled the app beforehand). Either way i don't see why they would do that (other than causing annoyance about things they don't want users to do).

Glad i could help.

Oct 19, 2024 3:19 PM in response to r4tr4ce

I’m going to assume that it’s (hopefully) a bug and not an intended feature. Have to admit I never thought about removing the developer from the device, that’s such a butterfly effect lol

I was scouring every corner of the internet and yours was the only post about this issue and it had no solution, I was like :(((

You saved me so many hours, the next step with Apple tech support was gonna be backup and restore with a new Apple ID 😂

Thanks again!

Automatic App Updates option on my App Store is missing after the iOS 18 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.