You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How Do I Uninstall Logic Pro Trial Without Affecting Garageband?

I downloaded and installed the Logic Pro 11 Trial and have another month left but would like to uninstall it. How do I do this without messing up Garageband? Also, how do I do this if I relocated the Sound Library to an external drive? Do GB and LP share the same Sound Library or are they separate? TIA.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 3:26 PM

5 replies

Sep 29, 2024 7:24 AM in response to yoyoBen

Just a quick update to my issues: I called Apple Support and after two hours on the phone, the problem was solved. Had to speak with Logic Pro support as well as Garageband Support. Not sure what the problem was but after uninstalling/reinstalling various file folders, restoring my GB library, reindexing Apple Loops and various other steps, I finally am rid of all the memory hogging LP files that remained and have full GB Apple Loop set.

Sep 23, 2024 12:59 PM in response to yoyoBen

I uninstalled LP and reindexed my library in GB. Everything seems fine except:

1. In my Apple Loops library I have dozens of greyed out samples that don't load despite the circle with download arrow in it. Are those leftover indexed but unavailable loops from Logic Pro? That's ok but I hate seeing them in there:

2. There is a file folder on my external drive with LP related files in there. Can I dump these or do I need them if I'm going to use only GB?

Sep 24, 2024 2:40 AM in response to Blueser3271

Like I said earlier, create a time machine backup before changing anything. And keep in mind you are posting in a Logic forum, questions related to Garage Band might be ansered here: GarageBand - Apple Community

In my Apple Loops library I have dozens of greyed out samples that don't load despite the circle with download arrow in it. Are those leftover indexed but unavailable loops from Logic Pro? That's ok but I hate seeing them in there:

They are part of the Apple Loop Library and can be usually found here:

~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Session Player/

These are very likely leftovers of Logic, maybe you didn't download them as they are part of the 72 GB Logic library. Either download the files or try to delete them in the Loop Browser. But re-index your library in the Loop Browser in any case. Is there a Sound Library Manager in GB like in Logic?

2. There is a file folder on my external drive with LP related files in there. Can I dump these or do I need them if I'm going to use only GB?

I really don't know, why the folder is located on your external drive instead in your User folder. Create a backup before deleting them.

Sep 24, 2024 6:45 AM in response to yoyoBen

Dear yoyoBen,

Please note the following:

1. I don't need reminding about backing up, thanks.
  2. This started as a Logic related question and remains so. It doesn't make sense to now post separate questions in the GB forum.
  3. In that Apple Loops link you posted, every "leftover" in there represents samples that are greyed out in the Loops Library, cannot be downloaded, cannot be removed.
  4. When I installed Logic, I did download the full library.
  5. I did re-index the library.
  6. The folder is located on the external drive because I opted to relocate the very large Logic sound library there. This is a pretty common and simple thing to do. That file folder was not created by me.

How Do I Uninstall Logic Pro Trial Without Affecting Garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.