You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Two MacBook backups on one Time Machine - how to delete one Mac's backup?

I have two MacBooks. Both have backups saved on one Time Machine. I only want to delete the backup of one of the Macs. How do I do this?

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 6:30 AM

7 replies

Sep 23, 2024 7:23 PM in response to pineapplehelp

Erase the backup disk according to Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Attempting to erase files using the Finder either won't work, or will corrupt the existing backup anyway. In any event you don't want an unreliable backup. If you want another solution, then set that backup disk aside and use another disk for the new Mac's backups.

At some point will also need to remove the disk from Time Machine's Settings, otherwise TM will be looking for a backup disk that is no longer available. It will eventually complain about that so you might as well do it now.

Sep 23, 2024 12:22 PM in response to John Galt

Hi, I'm talking about the Time Machine external disk (2 TB).

I bought a new Mac to replace my old Mac. Instead of "inheriting the backups" I "created a new backup" so now my Time Machine has backups for both Macs. Unfortunately there isn't enough storage space for a backup for my new Mac. So I want to delete the incomplete, in-progress backup for my new Mac, forget the Time Machine, and then start again, this time clicking on "inherit the backup".

Sep 23, 2024 2:33 PM in response to pineapplehelp

Thanks for that additional explanation. Once a backup disk has been in use for a while, very little space is likely to be available to add a completely new source — your new Mac in this case. The reason is that TM will create as many backups as possible while remaining within the backup disk's capacity. When it reaches that capacity, TM starts to delete the oldest backups to make room for newer ones... perpetually operating in a state of very little free space. That's normal.

What you need to do is essentially the same: erase the backup disk. Or, at your option, completely erase the new Mac (since it's new anyway), and upon setting it up again, choose to "inherit" the older one's backups. That way, you will be retaining the older one's backup history to the greatest extent possible, while adding new backups as needed... the same way it's been working.

Which option you decide upon is up to you, but for what it's worth I always choose to inherit older backups. It's seamless to do it that way.

In my opinion the ideal solution is to purchase an additional backup disk. If and when you decide to retire the older Mac, you can use both backup disk drives for the newer Mac. Time Machine will back up to as many hard disk drives as you wish to provide. One and only one backup drive doesn't comprise a robust backup strategy anyway, because any disk can fail at any time, including backup disks. You never want to be left with no backups at all, even for a short time.

One question I neglected to ask: How did you populate the new Mac's content to begin with? Your choices are to migrate its content directly from the other Mac, or from its Time Machine backup. Assuming that backup is current, it makes literally no difference which of those two options you choose.

The other way is to set up the new Mac as new, without migrating its content from anything.

Sep 23, 2024 3:28 PM in response to John Galt

Someone I asked advice for told me to go to the Time Machine, delete the folder with the new Mac's backups, then forget the Time Machine. Then, plug in the Time Machine disk again and it'll ask me whether to "inherit" or to "create new backup" and then I can choose to inherit. Do you see any issues with manually deleting one Mac's backups?

I populated the new Mac from my Time Machine's latest backup from the old Mac. But I should have clicked "inherit" instead of "create new backup". This inadvertently led to my storage problem because if I had clicked inherit, then the TM would have simply deleted my oldest backup instead of preserving it.

Sep 23, 2024 4:13 PM in response to pineapplehelp

Yes in all likelihood that will corrupt those backups, rendering them useless, leaving you with none, not even those from the older Mac... a bad situation.

But I should have clicked "inherit" instead of "create new backup". This inadvertently led to my storage problem because if I had clicked inherit, then the TM would have simply deleted my oldest backup instead of preserving it.

👍

Two MacBook backups on one Time Machine - how to delete one Mac's backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.