You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

HomePod Stereo Pair with AirPlay 2 enabled TV and NO Apple TV

Hello,

As far as I understand it, the only way to use two HomePods (or HomePod minis) as a stereo pair for streaming video is to use an Apple TV.

My desired setup is as follows: 2 HomePod Minis (configured in a stereo pair), an AirPlay 2 enabled display, and my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Would I be able to AirPlay from my iPhone to the display, while using the HomePod Minis as a stereo pair for the streaming video? Or does this require an Apple TV to be used with the TV.

Thanks!

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 12:50 PM

1 reply

Sep 23, 2024 11:35 PM in response to subatomicTemplar

An AirPlay 2 enabled tv means you can AirPlay from your iPhone (or other device) to your tv. It won’t play through HomePods. However you can have the audio come from your tv to HomePods set up with eARC running through an Apple TV 4K without actually using the Apple tv. I’ve not tested all scenarios it will work on as I have an Apple tv and have no real need to AirPlay to the tv.

Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support - an eARC or ARC HDMI port needs to be on the tv.

HomePod Stereo Pair with AirPlay 2 enabled TV and NO Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.