You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Dictation on Macbook with the lid closed disabled - This is a deliberate security feature!

This is one of the more 'stupid' features of the Macbook hardware I've found.

I always used the dictation feature on OSX for typing out messages and memos, and it's a really handy feature.

Until now dictation has always worked for me, now I've found any External Microphone is disabled if you have the LID CLOSED on your macbook (clamshelled).

Obviously 'clamshelled' is how I prefer to work as I use an external display, keyboard as many Macbook users do. However after doing some searching and reading I finally found this change is 'by design'.... its a security feature.

It's called Hardware Microphone Disconnect.

Hardware microphone disconnect - Apple Support (CA)

Surely, I should be the one to decide if this is a security feature I want to utilise, but as it's hardware enabled so I guess I'm out of luck. Besides If anyone really wants to goto the effort of recording me with some malicious software they're not going to discover much. This is not really a legitimate or realistic concern or scenario.

I think the whole issue could be remedied with (call me crazy) a thing called a physical switch or button.

So in order to use my external mic, I have to have the macbook open, which is super annoying as I now have 2 screens and invarably lose windows on the other macbook screen which I dont normally use.

For a company that prides itself on usability and accessibility this is a major fail and let's be honest... this is a stupid feature that should be user enabled.

*I agree to accept the 'extremely unlikely' but an identified vulnerability on Mac.

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 3:11 PM

4 replies

Sep 24, 2024 6:39 PM in response to Toby Bridson

I don't think that "Hardware microphone disconnect" page says what you claim that it does.

To me, it says that

• When you close the lid on a Mac notebook with an Apple Silicon chip or T2 chip, hardware disconnects the built-in microphone, in a way that even macOS cannot get around.
  • When you close a Mi-Fi-compliant case attached to an iPad released in 2020 or later, hardware disconnects the iPad's built-in microphone, in a way that even iPadOS cannot get around.

There is nothing in there about shutting down external microphones.

If the system is doing that, intentionally, that would involve a separate mechanism. There is no mention of any such mechanism on that page.

Sep 24, 2024 6:43 PM in response to Toby Bridson

Toby Bridson wrote:

Even better is when the TV is on and sometimes the Homepod or Alexa touch screen burst into life with the slightest uttereance of a activation keyword.

PC Magazine (February 4, 2018) – How Amazon Keeps Your TV From Accidentally Triggering Your Echo

Amazon | Science (January 31, 2019) – Why Alexa won't wake up when she hears her name in Amazon's Super Bowl ad

Dictation on Macbook with the lid closed disabled - This is a deliberate security feature!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.