You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

ios 18 live captions have few problems

There are a few issues with Live Captions in the new iOS 18. First, they don't always start working right away—you need to pause and then resume them to activate. Second, the font size in the new system is too large, even at the minimum setting. It used to be smaller and more comfortable. Additionally, the font appears bold even though this is disabled in the settings. Lastly, switching the microphone has become inconvenient, requiring multiple steps, whereas previously it could be done directly from the main panel.

Just wanted to know if there is a way to fix it.

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 4:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 3:32 PM

Concurred with this issue on all points. I'll also add that the live captions work initially, but then slowly taper off and stop working after 30-40 seconds. I then have to turn them off and back on again in order get another ~30 seconds of captions, before it slows down and stalls again. As a deaf person who relies on these live captions for all phone use, this is significantly detrimental to both productivity as well as 'getting by' in life.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 4, 2024 3:32 PM in response to lesikaholod

Concurred with this issue on all points. I'll also add that the live captions work initially, but then slowly taper off and stop working after 30-40 seconds. I then have to turn them off and back on again in order get another ~30 seconds of captions, before it slows down and stalls again. As a deaf person who relies on these live captions for all phone use, this is significantly detrimental to both productivity as well as 'getting by' in life.

Oct 11, 2024 9:05 AM in response to lesikaholod

Concur as well. What I see as of iOS 18.01 is that it will initially work well and then after a few minutes gets terribly out of sync with the audio, falling further and further behind.

Also agree about the user experience issues ... very very clunky interface. Original interface was far better. Especially annoying is that I can't shrink the zoom out button and have to wait some 20 seconds for the window to shrink. Sometimes it just closes by itself. At other times the tab disappears and I have to go into preferences and toggle it off and on again.

Hope there's still attention being paid to getting this right.

ios 18 live captions have few problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.