You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Is there a way to fix a fault with sound output and effects, the settings keep changing of their own accord

Both the sound output option and the sound effects option keeps on changing itself. In the case of sound effects I select 'Play sound effects through elected sound output device' and within a second or two it changes itself to my monitor, which has no speakers, or the Mac mini speakers, which I would never want to use, in the case of the sound output device it regular changes from my selection, which are external speakers connected via Airplay, to the Mac mini speakers.

I have an M1 Mac mini and am running it on MacOS Sequoia Version 15. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Mac mini, macOS 15.1

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 6:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 10:20 AM

Yea' the Mac mini's wireless antenna is under the bottom cover, so maybe problem is that they are to close and in the shadow of the case or other internal component.

It might also be that another device like an iPhone, iPad or another computer for examples, is attempting pare with the speakers.

4 replies

Sep 25, 2024 9:25 AM in response to Jonathan_J_Faulkner

If the AirPlay connection is interrupted, then the sound will default back to the internal speaker or another device.

This sounds like is a weak signal to the device and/or interference from other devices connected to the Mac mini.

have a look at > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

What device are you streaming audio to via AirPlay..?

How far away is the device that you are streaming audio to..?

What other high speed USB devices are connected to the Mac mini..?

What other high EMF devices are near or in-between the Mac mini and the AirPlay receiver..?

Sep 25, 2024 9:47 AM in response to den.thed

They are Sonos Roam speakers on charge pads so not turned off at any point and are about 30cm and 70cm respectively away from the Mac Mini. There are no other high speed USB devices connected, solely a web cam and no high EMF devices either. The change is within seconds though, for the sound effects issue specifically, which therefore doesn’t seem like it would be because of a dropped AirPlay connection but nevertheless I’ll look at the link you sent and try out whatever is advised there, thank you so much.

Is there a way to fix a fault with sound output and effects, the settings keep changing of their own accord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.