You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Recommendations for Monitor for M2 Man Mini

I found an old thread on this but looking for more current information. Looking for suggestions for a replacement monitor for my m2 Mac Mini. Currently using a 27" 1080p hp monitor on HDMI which gets the job done but I'm ready for more.

I'm thinking about something around 34", Thunderbolt 4 or USB-C and possibly curved. That lets me hook up the one cable from the computer and be able to have sound in the monitor (if it has speakers) and have a hub for other devices on the monitor, right?

1. Is Thunderbolt 4 worth it? It seems to limit the choices and prices go up quickly.
  2. Is USB-C enough, does TB4 have significant advantages?
  3. Curved monitors look cool, are they cool in day-to-day use?

Any information or thoughts greatly appreciated!

Mac mini, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 10:00 AM

1 reply

Sep 26, 2024 2:02 AM in response to DP TX

Depends on your budget and what you are looking for in a monitor.

Part of the reason that prices go up quickly for Thunderbolt monitors is that most of them have very high resolution. E.g., the 27" Apple Studio Display and its 27" LG and Samsung competitors are 5K monitors with 5120x2880 pixels. The 32" Apple Pro Display XDR is a 6K monitor with 6016x3384 pixels. USB-C (DisplayPort) is enough to carry 4K @ 60 Hz, but not enough to carry 5K @ 60 Hz or 6K @ 60 Hz - at least, not in its original version.

For monitors with a resolution of 4K @ 60 Hz or less, the most common modern inputs are:

• DisplayPort
  • HDMI
  • USB-C (DisplayPort)

It's rare to find a monitor with a resolution of 4K @ 60 Hz or less that uses Thunderbolt, although some might exist.

A USB-C or Thunderbolt 3/4 connection can carry

• Video to the monitor
  • Data to and from hub ports on the monitor
  • Power from the monitor to a laptop

all over one cable. Note that the need to prioritize video might limit bandwidth available for hub ports.

Recommendations for Monitor for M2 Man Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.