You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

MacMini A1283 Kernel Panic? Weird issue, how to fix?

Had a friend give me an old Mac Mini he attempted to reset but accidentally unmounted the OSX partition and needed to be reset via USB drive/Install disc now. I first tried to run a USB install that I had made. I’m not sure what happened there but that put the Mac into some kind of kernel panic where it’s basically stuck in a boot loop flashing illegible text, I also noticed the apple logo appears distorted (see pictures). I can no longer get to recovery mode to reinstall the OS. I tried a PRAM reset multiple times, the only thing this did was make it take less time to crash between restarts. Putting an official install DVD in the Mac does nothing. Is there anything else I can try to fix this Mac or did I kill it 🙃

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 11:30 AM

5 replies

Sep 27, 2024 5:43 PM in response to Dhjsjfejjdjehsifhsdi

Certainly looks like some sort of hardware issue. The first thing I would do is disconnect the internal hard drive since a failing hard drive can sometimes prevent booting to external media. That quickly removes one road block.

You can try running the Apple Hardware Test which you can boot from the 2nd DVD which originally shipped with the Mac from the factory to see if any hardware issues are detected (hold down the 'C' key with the DVD inserted). If you have the Late-2009 Mini and if it had macOS 10.12.4+ installed at some point, then it may have the online Apple Diagnostics available (as well as Internet Recovery Mode --- Command + Option + R if the internal HD is connected -- to access the online High Sierra installer).

I personally like to boot a Knoppix Linux USB stick in order to better & more easily check the hardware of these older Macs. macOS tends to get into trouble when it encounters something unexpected whereas Linux may be able to finish booting which can give you a better idea of the situation. The Linux boot log can sometimes be very informative as well unlike the Apple system logs. Plus Knoppix has a utility installed by default that can check the health of the hard drive if it is connected.

The missing row of pixels for each line is interesting and may suggest a memory issue or GPU issue.

Edit: If you cannot get the Apple Hardware Test or online Apple Diagnostics to work, then you can try creating a bootable Apple Diagnostic USB stick by downloading the proper diagnostic image file from the following site (all links are to actual DMG files hosted on Apple's own servers, so there is nothing to worry about):

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

The DMG files should contain a PDF file with instructions for creating the bootable diagnostic USB stick which I believe utilize the "Restore" functionality in Disk Utility.

MacMini A1283 Kernel Panic? Weird issue, how to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.