You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

MacMini 2018 bootloop (I tried everything...?)

Hi Everyone, I have a 2018 MacMini. It was in daily use. I used it with an eGPU and booted from an external SSD, but there was also a system (earlier OSx) on the internal SSD, which also worked flawlessly. I decided to sell the machine, so I disconnected the external stuff from it and entered the system. Driven by a sudden idea - instead of setting it up as a new Mac - I created a new user (as admin, no apple ID) and deleted mine. After that it went into bootloop. I thought "no problem, I'll reinstall". My first thought was Internet Recovery. There I received an error code -1008F, based on this, the machine has been locked. To remove Activation Lock, I read that I have to remove it from my iCloud account. After doing this, there was still no change. If I try to install anything (including Windows), the system restarts after the apple logo. The boot menu comes in, but whatever device I choose to boot (either the old one on which I used daily before this situation ) or a new installer, the same thing happens. After PRam reset, there is welcome sound, but then I don't even get to the boot menu, it restarts immediately. Next time, no sound, just apple logo and restart over and over again. At this point I don't know what else can I try. Already tried local recovery and safe mode, but neither of these working. Any help or idea is appreciated :) Thanks!

Mac mini (2018)

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 12:15 AM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2024 12:10 PM in response to weakend83

Sep 30, 2024 11:27 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the reply! Nope. It just restarts over and over again. The farthest I could get is the internet recovery and the -1008F error message. I saw a video on Yt in the topic. The guy said that they had the same issue, and the only solution that worked for them was to install Catalina from pendrive. I tried that one too, but it's all the same. :(

MacMini 2018 bootloop (I tried everything...?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.