You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

YouTube is starting videos at the midpoint or even at the end of the video on my Apple TV 4K

My Apple TV has been playing YouTube perfectly until very recently. What is now happening is when I attempt to play a video in YouTube the video will fail to start or will start seconds from the end of the video so I have to rewind the video to the beginning to actually make it play. Sometimes the only way to play the video is to find it in my YouTube history and play it from there which seems to work most of the time. I am paying for YouTube so I don’t see ads. I don’t know if this is what’s causing the problem.

Some videos refused to play at all, no matter what I try however they will work perfectly on my iPhone or my iPad.

Is anyone having similar issues with YouTube just not behaving properly?

Is anyone having similar issues with YouTube just not behaving properly?

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 2:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2024 1:53 AM

SOLUTION: Under the ATV video settings, change the format to 4k SDR. Then switch it back to Dolby Vision. Then under video settings, click “match content” and turn “match dynamic range” off.

Now the YouTube app will work perfectly.

Once Google squashes this bug in the YouTube app, we can turn that setting back on. But for now, this is the only solution I’ve found with consistent results lasting for days now.

26 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 5, 2024 1:53 AM in response to aprice_bcd

SOLUTION: Under the ATV video settings, change the format to 4k SDR. Then switch it back to Dolby Vision. Then under video settings, click “match content” and turn “match dynamic range” off.

Now the YouTube app will work perfectly.

Once Google squashes this bug in the YouTube app, we can turn that setting back on. But for now, this is the only solution I’ve found with consistent results lasting for days now.

Oct 1, 2024 6:41 AM in response to aprice_bcd

I think I've worked out what's happening (for me at least). Not a solution, but maybe useful to know. Whenever I go from one video to the next, the second video is starting at the timestamp the previous one ended. E.g., if I finish a 5 minute video and start a 10 minute video, then the 10 minute video will start at the 5 minute mark when the last one finished.

Haven't found out how to make it stop though! It's been doing it for the past couple of days.

Oct 8, 2024 5:53 AM in response to GeekyScot

Exactly the same here. The problem is, if you end watching a video later than the next one is long, it won't play nothing. E.g you watch a vid for 5:00mins, but the following one is just 4:00mins long, than it sometimes shows a black screen with nothing happening, sometimes it jumps back to the overview, sometimes it shows any follow up video....pretty annoying.

Oct 14, 2024 2:08 PM in response to project_sensorium

Thank you so much for pointing the right direction !

I don't have a Dolby Surround TV so I was about to jump to another forum to find another hypothesis and hypothetical solution... but I gave a chance to your suggestion and only turned off the “match dynamic range” (no change to the format set to 4K HDR). This alone solved the issue 👍

Sep 30, 2024 10:22 PM in response to aprice_bcd

Im having the same issue. I thought I was going crazy. Then I realized most of these videos that start like this have been posted earlier in the day, and I haven't watched YouTube since the prior night.

I am also having an issue with the autoplay. Sometimes it will spit me back out to the login screen for the different YouTube profiles, other times it will spit me back to the YouTube home screen, and then once or twice it just stayed on a black screen.

Oct 1, 2024 8:55 AM in response to project_sensorium

Thanks for this advice. I made similar changes to my video settings and YouTube seems to be behaving itself at least for tonight. I’ll keep an eye on it for the next couple of days. It will be a pain if I have to switch settings when I’m going between YouTube and watching 4K HDR content. Hopefully something can get sorted out at a YouTube‘s end.

YouTube is starting videos at the midpoint or even at the end of the video on my Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.