You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Word for Mac changing document name to temp file name automatically

This is a new problem with Word for MAC. Here is my issue: Word is changing my document name to a temp name. But this is happening on three different MAC computers and two of the computers are running the latest version of Word; 2019 and 2021 with the latest updates. This is happening on multiple documents new and updated. Here is what I have done to test the problem. 1. I have changed the cord to my external drive in case the cable was the problem. 2. I used a different USB port in case that was the problem. 3. I saved the document to another external drive. 4. I've also created new documents on this other external drive. 5. I've used three different MAC computers. 6. Then I saved the document to my documents folder on two MAC computers and the error didn't happen, but using the external drives on each computer it happens.  I tried to recreate the problem in the Documents folder.  This is frustrating and bizarre. Does anyone have an answer to this problem?

Mac mini, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 12:42 PM

11 replies

Oct 7, 2024 2:50 PM in response to lanstrad1

I found the solution. I went to Microsoft support and they gave me the fix.

Close all word documents/app, then follow the below steps.

From the desktop screen, please press "GO"

In the window that opens, type "~/Library" and then click Go.

Open the Containers folder and delete "Microsoft Word" folder.

Then open Word again. It may tell you that the language has been changed. Press OK

It may also ask you to start Word. OK

It should all work fine from here.

Oct 1, 2024 8:21 PM in response to Cagu42

Well I have not searched yet, because that macbook is not my main system - I work mainly on a mac mini still under Sonoma and don't have that issue there. But it looks we have a case here. I've trapped myself installing a .0 update which usually is a no-no for me, but again, I took the risk because it's not my main system. Likely you and I are rare beasts using an external drive for Word documents. When the document is on internal drive, the issue does not exists, which is probably the case for most.

Oct 2, 2024 8:08 AM in response to lanstrad1

I may have found a solution even though it's not ideal if you have a lot of USB plugins. I use external USB hubs USB and USB-C hubs. I decided to plug my external drive directly into my MacBook air instead of the hub and I did not get the error. So maybe it has to do with the hubs? Not that the hubs are bad as some are brand new, but maybe it triggers something in the Word software? Who knows. But it worked so I wanted to tell you.

Word for Mac changing document name to temp file name automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.