You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

updating my mac mimi to Monterey hangs

My mac mini was running Big Sur when I tried to upgrade it to Monterey on an external SSD after formatting the SSD to APFS with the Big Sur Disk Utility. The SSD formatting worked fine.

When I tried to upgrade to Monterey, the installation hangs with "about 20 minutes remaining".

I disconnected the SSD, powered off the computer, restarted it and it now hangs with "less than a minute remaining.

I cannot choose other bootable partitions by holding down the option key during a power on.

Ideas? Im rather stuck.

Thank you. I am writing this from my old MacBook Pro running high sierra.

I need to get at least monterey running on ma MacBook pro so I can do my 2023 taxes because turbotax 2023 won't run on anything older than monterey.

Help!!

Mac mini, macOS 11.7

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 1:02 PM

9 replies

Sep 30, 2024 4:10 PM in response to mikekram

I don't know about Monterrey installation changing firmware, but I have had this issue (some beta firmware installed - definitely NOT by me) and was not able to complete any upcoming update (I'm also on a mini 2018).

If you have that issue, take the mini to an Apple store and have them install Sonoma. They discovered about the installed firmware. And corrected the issue for free (few months ago).

If your version of the accounting software works with Sonoma, go for it.

Sep 30, 2024 1:53 PM in response to mikekram

I was able to get catalina booted and big sur booted but do you think it is possible to get sonoma or ventura installed without clobbering catalina or big sur? Clearly there are problems with monterey.

Also, what is the story with the monterey installation changing firmware, and how can I determine if my firmware is proper?

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2024 2:41 PM in response to mikekram

It’s simple to check: use the About This Mac command in the Apple menu, click on System Report… and, in System Information, read what it reports for System Firmware Version (in the Hardware Overview). Of course that only tells you what version is installed, and not what it should be.

The other half of the information you need is something which Apple paradoxically doesn’t provide, a list of current firmware versions by model. If your Mac is running Mojave or later, then look here for recent Macs, or here for older ones.

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/03/23/how-to-update-your-macs-firmware/

We need to know which exact Mini you have.

updating my mac mimi to Monterey hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.