You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why is "Other users & Shared" taking up so much space on my hard-drive?

My MacStudio is only a year old and there's no room on my hard-drive. 250 GB is taken up by Other Users and Shared. How do I pare this down? I'm the only user besides the guest user, and there's not much to get rid of from guest user (I checked).

Mac Studio, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 2:26 PM

1 reply

Oct 2, 2024 8:10 AM in response to dukeofsnug

250 GB is not a very large drive, and in the long run, you WILL need to add more external storage drive(s). Other solutions just fiddle around the edges or tie you to iCloud storage, and do not really solve the problem -- they just postpone it.

In the meantime, the utilities mentioned in this article can help you FIND the biggest boat-anchor sized files and deal with them appropriately. These Utilities do not change ANY files, despite names line Omnidisk 'Sweeper'. Calculating which files are largest takes ay least a quarter hour using an Admin userid.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how… - Apple Community

Why is "Other users & Shared" taking up so much space on my hard-drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.