You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple iPhone dictation causing multiple issues.

Using dictation is causing multiple issues. I have a very bland generic American accent, and yet dictation is no longer intuitive nor does it punctuate correctly.

Other issues include word repetition when I have only used the word once. Even when I speak slowly and clearly, it makes its own decision whether it wants to duplicate a word or not.

If i pause in the middle of a sentence, without adding a period, it will often capitalize the next word.

Sometimes, it interprets a word so wildly differently that it astounds me. How is it that the word "oh" sound like "while" or "which" or "how"? Or the word "You" sound like "He?" Yet the microphone interpretation itself decides to completely reinterpret the sentence.

It does not intuitively understand the difference between words like golf and gulf, and consistently interprets the Gulf of Mexico as the golf of Mexico, even though my pronunciation is completely different for each word and the "U" in "Gulf" is pronounced by me as "UH" whereas the "O" in "golf" is pronounced as "AWH."

Sometimes, even though I am speaking slowly, dictation decides on its own to omit words.

I have gone through the tiresome process of allowing the iPhone to hear my voice read back sentences to no avail. Apparently, there is no connection between doing that and the way that the microphone interprets my voice.

I am using the most current update and always do. I am close to the phone when I am speaking, and not yelling into the phone but speaking clearly.

in all the years that microphone access has been available I am absolutely appalled that an enterprise such as Apple cannot address this issue. It would be good to allow us to use a list of phrases that we often use to refer to. My grandmother is from Sweden and we call her the Swedish equivalent of mother's mother. Unfortunately that phrase is MorMor, which Apple interprets as "more more." And mother's father, which is MorFar, as "more far." Why can't I store those someplace so that messaging understands that when I say those words together that is what I meant?

In addition, often choices are made that make absolutely no sense in phrase construction. If I am saying "I spoke to more more yesterday," How is that a sensible sentence?

I do not have time to type and my messages have to be quick and correct.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 14

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 7:59 PM

1 reply

Apple iPhone dictation causing multiple issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.