You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

In Safari, when I download my local newspaper, which is in a PDF, the file has the extension like this: newspaper.pdf.download. This also happens with USA Today and one other news site. When I use a different browser (Chrome), this does not happen

In Safari, when I download my local newspaper, which is in a PDF, the file has the extension like this: newspaper.pdf.download. This also happens with USA Today and one other news site. When I use a different browser (Chrome), this does not happen. How can I get Safari to stop adding .download to the file?

When I go in and try to rename the file, remove "download" and leave just the PDF extension, after, of course, the warning dialog box if I really want to change the extension, a folder is created with the original PDF inside.

This does happen on my Mac Pro (intel), my M1 MacBook Pro and my M1 MacMini. The all have Sequoia 15.0

Incidentally, this behavior did start after upgrading to Sequoia using Safari Version 18.0 (20619.1.26.31.6)

I hope I have given enough information!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 5:45 AM

There are no replies.

In Safari, when I download my local newspaper, which is in a PDF, the file has the extension like this: newspaper.pdf.download. This also happens with USA Today and one other news site. When I use a different browser (Chrome), this does not happen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.