You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Should the Strong Password feature respect masking of passwords?

When using the iOS Strong Password feature in an input field (on Safari web or iPhone), the password is displayed as plain text instead of being masked by bullet points, despite the password masking feature being enabled. Is there a way to resolve this issue without disabling auto-fill or asking users to turn off the Strong Password suggestion? Thank you!

MacBook Air (M3, 2024)

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 4:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 5:03 PM

When you generate a strong password, only part of that password is visible (blurred towards the end). So, in a way, it is partly masked or, at least, obfuscated. Clicking "Show" reveals the whole password (non blurred.)

This is the way I've always seen a strong password being created. I believe this is the way Apple intends it.

If you believe it should be handled differently, please let Apple know: Product Feedback - Apple.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2024 5:03 PM in response to barry_concerned

When you generate a strong password, only part of that password is visible (blurred towards the end). So, in a way, it is partly masked or, at least, obfuscated. Clicking "Show" reveals the whole password (non blurred.)

This is the way I've always seen a strong password being created. I believe this is the way Apple intends it.

If you believe it should be handled differently, please let Apple know: Product Feedback - Apple.

Oct 3, 2024 4:56 PM in response to 6x6

When generating a Strong Password, the password initially displays as plain text, despite the password masking feature being enabled.

In the attached video, after clicking "Suggest New Password," the "Show" CTA appears, indicating the password should be masked. However, it is displayed as plain text. When I click "Show," the CTA changes to "Hide," but the password remains visible (as expected). Only after clicking "Hide" does the password become masked.

I'm curious why the "Suggest New Password" feature doesn’t respect the password masking setting upon initial password creation

https://jumpshare.com/s/dNdjlCyUZw2ShD1Wb2VE

Should the Strong Password feature respect masking of passwords?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.