You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Final Cut Pro 10.7.1 Cannot duplicate Multicam Clips

I'm no longer able to duplicate Multicam Clips (Final Cut Pro 10.7.1 on Sonoma on Mac Studio M1)... Selecting the Multicam and DUPLICATE CLIP has NO visible effect: NO new Multicam is created and the source Multicam is still there - Still I found out that a "Cancel Duplicate Clip" command appears in the Edit Menu; but if I "cancel" it nothing happens again...

I tried an old tip (dated 2013) I found in this forum that suggested to move the multicam to a different library and back... It somewhat worked: now I have 2 identical multicam clips with THE SAME NAME in my main library... BUT they seemingly are the SAME clip: if I rename one the second takes the same name too!!

So no chance!

Is there a way out ?

Thanks a lot

Piero

Mac Studio, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 5, 2024 9:51 AM

12 replies

Oct 8, 2024 5:42 PM in response to piero.fiorani

Yes, it was always the case the a Multicam is linked to all instances.

The function to make a new, unliked copy is in the Clip menu, "Reference new Parent Clip."

It's always been this way, for many years now.

OR you make a Snapshot duplicate of the Project, and that will give you an unlinked copy of Compounds, Multicams, and such.

Oct 9, 2024 12:30 AM in response to BenB

Thanks Ben, I think what you say wasn’t true in 2017... I cannot track back the FCPX version I was using in 2017 but for sure then I was able to duplicate multicam clips.

As you can see in the attached snapshot showing the browser for an old 2017 FCPX project, I created a sequence of Compound clips, each including a corresponding Multicam Clip; my convention was to use similar names e.g. 21 Finale Compound including 21 Finale Multicam. And each project (e.g. Don Giovanni Atto 1-1) could use tens of compounds, where each compound n+1 and its included multicam n+1 was duplicated from the previous pair n (and then independently modified...).

Sorry for this clarification...

Anyway thanks Ben for your suggestion to use Reference New Parent Clip.. I never saw a use for it, and probably now it could solve my problem!

Oct 6, 2024 3:19 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Good to hear from you too Ian! and thanks to Tom for his hint...

The problem is that so far resetting preferences/settings to the default didn't work.

I'll now test moving the full project in a different library. Maybe that makes it

Or possibly this specific FCP version (10.7.1) has a bug ? that maybe was solved in later versions ? For now I'd like not to update for library compatibility...

Oct 7, 2024 1:44 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

OK, I checked myself and I see multicam duplicates (*) are in fact like "links/aliases" to the same multicam clip... But this was not the case a few years ago! Anyway I'll look for another way to do what I need. On the other hand I can duplicate Compound Clips and they are distinct clips I can modify independently from one another.

Or is there anything I'm missing ?

Thanks!

(*) Note: the only single duplicated multicam clip I still have now results from the unfortunate trick to copy it to a different library and back... instead the Duplicate command still doesn't work for me on multicam... but this is irrelevant given the resulting behavior!

Final Cut Pro 10.7.1 Cannot duplicate Multicam Clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.