You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why is my 20+ year old original email address so sacred to Apple?

I wish to break any bonds w Google, so why not change my Apple ID. I've never tried to change. Not once. 20+ years later I am told I can't change my Apple ID from my original email address? What's the Apple hangup?

iMac 27″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 6, 2024 6:41 PM

4 replies

Oct 6, 2024 7:27 PM in response to blackxacto

That is because you have Stolen Device Protection turned on and not currently in a familiar location. You may not have added your Home address in the Maps app or for some other reason it is not recognizing you location. That is the purpose of Stolen Device Protection to require the delay when changing account details. This is something that you can turn off if you do not want Stolen Device Protection, but of course they will be the same delay to do that as well.

About Stolen Device Protection for iPhone - Apple Support

Oct 6, 2024 9:58 PM in response to FoxFifth

I followed the instructions, was told to wait for an hour, before I choose a new ID and delete the old ID. So I start my timer. At 30 mins later, Apple says to continue deleting or changing the Apple ID. So I delete the old email address AFTER choosing the new address. Easy as pi. The Apple phone tech told me no way huh? Thank you for correctly enlightening me on how to easily make the change.

Why is my 20+ year old original email address so sacred to Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.