You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iphone not syncing all media from computer

How can I get all the songs from my Mac to sync on my iphone? Currently, the music app on my iphone contains 29 GB of songs, whereas my Mac has 118 GB. (The songs I want to sync are all "ticked selections" in the Music app.)

On my iphone storage screen it shows "81 GB of 256 GB used" – 175 GB of space – meaning there is plenty of room for whole the 118 GB of music to be synced to my phone.

Thank you

(iphone not syncing all media from computer)

iPhone 4s

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 11:29 PM

5 replies

Oct 8, 2024 7:20 AM in response to PeteTB

iphone not syncing all media from computer: How can I get all the songs from my Mac to sync on my iphone? Currently, the music app on my iphone contains 29 GB of songs, whereas my Mac has 118 GB. (The songs I want to sync are all ‘ticked selections’ in the Music app.)[…]

———-

Syncing Music Across Devices:

A. Have an Apple Music Subscription:

You need an subscription for this. If no transferred, then you need to download them all. Elsewise, you been to download it all and create the libraries alike, manually(which can be painstaking).

B. Be Logged In to the Same Apple ID:

Do get this to work, be logged in to the same Apple ID. See here:

1. Go Here: Redownload music from the iTunes Store on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Check if you're signed in with the Apple Account that you used to purchase the music
  3. As it Reads: If you sign in with a different Apple Account than the one that's currently signed in, any purchases associated with the Apple Account you sign out of are removed from your device.

Oct 9, 2024 3:49 AM in response to PeteTB

iphone not syncing all media from computer: Thanks for the reply. No luck. A. I haven't got an Apple subscription. B. It's not a problem with redownloading music – this is mostly stuff I haven't bought from the iTunes store. I was already signed in to the same Apple account on both devices.

———-

Thank you for the followup reply.

Getting Home Music to Sync Accross Devices:

Then that is why you can’t: You need an Apple Music subscription to get home and Apple iTunes Store-purchased to sync across devices.

To get an Apple Music Subscription:

First, verify if this is an option in your country/region: Availability of Apple Media Services - Apple Support

Then, see about subscribing:

Oct 17, 2024 7:20 AM in response to PeteTB

iphone not syncing all media from computer: Thanks. I just remembered I hadn't replied to this. [..]My iphone storage screen is still a mystery to me. […]I don't understand how the 1.16 GB is supposed to include 50.11 GB.

———-

You are welcome.

Thanks for the followup reply.

Excellent job troubleshooting this!

Reset to Factory Settings:

Googling this for a bit in various forums, the quickest work around is the reset your phone to factory settings. So, if that is something you are up for doing, you’d perform as instructed here, including the backup creation: How to Factory Reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Other than that…

Trash each app, one at a time, until you see this go away.

System Data (Formerly called “Other):

Note that restoring from a backup would just bring this all back, from what I am gathering over all of this. So, this means that this has nothing to do with caches. But, see if you need to clear those, as well. Use my User Tip for this: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Apple Community

Oct 17, 2024 2:24 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks. I just remembered I hadn't replied to this.

I didn't need an Apple Music subscription. I still haven't got one, but I fixed the problem a week ago. Unfortunately a week is an age for this sort of thing and I can't remember exactly how I fixed it. I do remember watching my phone over several hours re-downloading all the stuff from my Mac though.

My iphone storage screen is still a mystery to me. Just for the record, under "Synced media 24.04 GB" it includes "Music 1.16 GB". When I click on this("Music 1.16 GB"), however, it shows:

App size: 66.9 MB

Documents & Data: 1.09 GB

All Songs: 50.11 GB

I don't understand how the 1.16 GB is supposed to include 50.11 GB.

iphone not syncing all media from computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.