You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac Mini disk storage and capacity.

My Mac Mini has a nominal 250GB storage. Applcations, Docs, Mail, Music, Photos, macos and system data take 66.13GB. I have moved movies etc to external storage. A Whopping 157.55 GB is listed as "Other Users and shared". I cannot access most of these "files" and I have tried reinstalling macOS (Sonoma) but cannot do this because I don't have enough memory to do this. I have used disk Utility and proved that the main disc is ok.

I Have asked local Apple agent if memory can be upgraded (computer says Nooooo!)

Has anyone had similar issues . Any suggestions please Alan

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 11:04 PM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2024 2:00 AM in response to Lilli Pilli

It sounds like you are running out of storage – not out of memory. You cannot upgrade internal storage in any Apple Silicon (M1, M2, M2 Pro) Mac mini. You can buy external drives – hard drives and SSDs – that you can use either for backup purposes, or to store the master copies of some of your data.

These come in various speeds, sizes, and prices.

• Mechanical hard drives are the slowest, but offer the largest capacities (up to 5 GB for portable hard drives – or around 20 TB for desktop hard drives), and the lowest cost per gigabyte. They are suitable for many files – but are not the best choice for startup drives, or for storing heavily-accessed files like a Lightroom Classic catalog.
  • SSDs offer capacities up to 4 GB. The type of SSD (SATA or NVMe) and the interface which the enclosure uses (USB 3.0, USB 3.1 Gen 2, Thunderbolt 3/4, or USB4 40 Gbps) will affect speed and cost. For many applications, even slow SSDs are very fast.
  • SSDs are generally silent and can be very small - an advantage for drives that you are going to leave connected much or all of the time for extra storage. They should not be left unpowered for years at a time.

Aside: If you are not already backing up your Mac mini, you should get a backup drive or drives, and start doing so. Any data stored in only one place is one catastrophe away from being lost forever.

Mac Mini disk storage and capacity.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.