You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How can I stop Mac Mini going to sleep after 30 seconds on the lock screen?

My Mac Mini (2020 m1) goes to sleep on the Lock Screen after only 30 seconds. This is really annoying as my work means I have to leave and return to my desk pretty often, and every time I come back I have to wait for it to wake up again... my monitor to turn back on off standby... instead of jumping back into my work immediately. (plus I like watching the prettydynamic wallpapers but this is neither here nor there)

I have:

System Settings -> Lock Screen -> Turn display off when inactive (Never)

System Settings -> Energy Saver -> Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off (On)

Neither of these things have done anything.

What have I missed?

Thanks

Mac mini, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 12:53 AM

6 replies

Oct 11, 2024 8:18 AM in response to den.thed

MSI MD271UL

Connected via HDMI

I thought this might be the case but I'm pretty sure it isn't. There are no standby settings or auto-sleep settings that I can see. When I put the Mac to sleep manually it behaves the same as it does when it goes to sleep in the lock screen -- after going dark for a few seconds the screen shows 'HDMI No Signal' and then the monitor goes into standby mode.

Oct 11, 2024 8:48 AM in response to skylarkiv

Computer Sleep from the dropdown menu puts the Computer to Sleep.

The settings that I suggested above should only allow the Display to Sleep.

If the Computer is sleeping, then it will take slightly longer to wake-up and require a log-in.

If just the Display is sleeping, then it should wake the Display fairly quickly and not require a log-in.

How can I stop Mac Mini going to sleep after 30 seconds on the lock screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.