You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to move multiple split points/crossfades?

I have several tracks with chopped up live drums with many split points/crossfades ready for editing. The split points are right on the transients and I want to move all split points/crossfade centers simultaneously. Is there a way to select multiple crossfades/split points and drag them right or left?

iMac 27″, macOS 14.7

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 4:57 AM

27 replies

Oct 12, 2024 8:46 AM in response to Diegel

Following up reply based on yo-yo Ben’s response .

In Logic Pro, there isn’t a direct way to select and move multiple split points or crossfades simultaneously like you’re describing. However, there are a few workarounds that can help you achieve this kind of editing:

1. Track Edit Grouping: If your drum tracks are part of a group, you can use the group function to make edits across all tracks simultaneously. To do this:

• Select all your drum tracks.

• In the Inspector (the left-hand pane), click the “Group” field and assign a group.

• In the Group settings (accessible by clicking the “Group” tab), make sure “Editing (Selection)” and “Phase-locked Audio” are enabled.

This will allow you to edit crossfades and split points on multiple tracks at once, but not on individual regions with separate split points.

2. Adjusting Multiple Crossfades: If your primary need is to adjust crossfades rather than split points:

• You can manually select multiple crossfades by using the Marquee Tool. Hold down the Command key and draw a selection box around the crossfades.

• Once selected, you can adjust their length, but Logic doesn’t allow moving the crossfade center positions all at once.

3. Quantize Transients and Re-edit: If the split points are precisely on the transients, you could:

• Use Flex Time to quantize the transients, which could move all the slices together based on the transient markers.

• After quantizing, you can manually readjust the crossfades.

While there’s no one-click solution to select and move all split points/crossfades at once, these methods can help you work more efficiently when editing multiple drum tracks. Does this fit what you’re looking for, or do you need further clarification?

Oct 12, 2024 9:37 AM in response to yoyoBen

Yes I just mentioned this method in my previous post. The problem with this workaround is it still makes it difficult to find the best split point because you have to:

1. remove all crossfades
  2. trim the end of the region
  3. key command to fill gap
  4. reapply crossfade
  5. edit crossfade time

thats 4-5 steps that have to be repeated perhaps 10 or more times to find the ideal split point. Its features like this and more that makes me realize that Apple/Logic is more focused on the masses/average consumer than on the professional market. And from a money making perspective it’s understandable but Ive been looking at other daws recently that are able to perform tasks like this (move multiple splits points simultaneously) and have many other important features for more demanding editing tasks.

Oct 12, 2024 1:23 PM in response to Diegel

There must be something wrong. More exact:

1. Select all regions which you want to change the X-fade, then adjust the right corner. If this isn't possible, you might have reached the minimum size of one of the regions. This can also happen when changing the left corner. In this case, you have to find the culprit and de-select the one without loosing the selection of the other regions..
  2. Select all regions you like to change the x-fade on (they should still selected from step one anyway), then use the key command Trim Region Start to Previous Region which is my preferred procedure or do it manually.

Oct 12, 2024 9:10 AM in response to justinscottdixon

None of these seem to be a suitable workaround. There are 200 split points and I want to move them all a little to the left. The only workaround I thought of is to remove the crossfades and trim the regions simultaneously to where I want them to start and end and then reapply the crossfades. But even then it makes difficult to audition the best location for the split points back to back.

Oct 12, 2024 9:23 AM in response to Diegel

Diegel wrote:
There are 200 split points and I want to move them all a little to the left.

This can be done very easily. Just select the (not grouped!) 200 regions and just move the left corner at once (don't change the position of the region), then just lengthen the end of the regions at once to fill the gap either manually or with the key command Trim Region End to Next Region.

Oct 12, 2024 10:03 AM in response to Diegel

Diegel wrote:

1. remove all crossfades

Why do you have to remove the crossfades? I would expect to keep the same crossfades.

2. trim the end of the region

This can be done manually at once with the short cut. But keep in mind that the end of the regions don't matter for x-fade. Only the region start matters. Because of this I would first start changing the left corner of the regions at once.

3. key command to fill gap

This can be done manually at once with the short cut. Trim Region End to Next Region.

4. reapply crossfade

Not necessary, because I would expect to keep the same x-fade like before. They automatically re-apply after the gaps are filled.

5. edit crossfade time

Not necessary, because I would expect to keep the same x-fade like before. They autmatically re-apply after the gaps are filled. Even if you need to re-apply fades or fade time, this can be done at once.

Oct 12, 2024 10:17 AM in response to yoyoBen

I believe you answered my question about this in a separate thread. When 2 adjacent regions are crossfaded but not overlapping that logic does not start the 2nd region in the background where there crossfade begins. So if thats true doesnt that mean it is susceptible to pops/clicks since the 2nd region would be starting at the center of the fade in portion of the crossfade and similarly the 1st region would be ending before the fade out portion of the crossfade has completed?

Oct 12, 2024 10:39 AM in response to Diegel

Like in final cut pro I know when i apply a crossfade to 2 adjacent regions it automatically extends the regions in the background so the regions start and end in sync with the crossfades. I have a feeling Logic works the same way which would save some steps if true. Thats why I was surprised/confused about your answer on how Logic handles crossfades of adjacent (non overlapped) regions.

Oct 12, 2024 1:33 PM in response to yoyoBen

No i definitely did not reach the end of the regions. I am able to drag them all to the right when I do them individually. But when I do multiple regions it will drag but when I let go of the mouse they just go back to their starting positions. I am talking about dragging the lower half of the right edge of the regions to the right (not dragging the lower half of the left edge to the right which would create a gap). Seems like a bug to me. Your step 2 is unnecessary if dragging the right edge to the right worked the same way as dragging the left edge to the left.

How to move multiple split points/crossfades?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.