You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

New Apple TV device already has email connected?

I bought a brand new Apple TV device today. Everything looked fresh other than no plastic wrap on the exterior of the box, but the device still had the black tape around the ports when I opened it up.

When I turn it on, there’s already an email as in there as the ‘default user’. Does this mean the store sold me a returned or refurbished product under the guise as a new one?

I’ve removed the email from settings but every time I log into a streaming service it asks if I want to use the old email. Should I have any concerns around security if it is a returned or refurbished device?

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 6:14 AM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2024 7:49 AM in response to nicoletravelbug

Does this mean the store sold me a returned or refurbished product under the guise as a new one?

Seems like it. Did you get a discount? I wouldn’t pay full price for open box. Maybe that’s just me.

I’ve removed the email from settings but every time I log into a streaming service it asks if I want to use the old email. Should I have any concerns around security if it is a returned or refurbished device?

If you’re going to keep it, then do this to wipe any prior data from the device:

Reset or restore your Apple TV to its factory settings - Apple Support

That will get rid of the email that you saw.

New Apple TV device already has email connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.