You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to unlock a firmware-locked Mac?

I have found one Mac computer in a E-waste container around 3 weeks ago, it's in a good state and it was with a charger. There were other devices but I was just interested in the Mac, so I took it with me when I try to turn it on it didn't turn on so I opened and cleaned it. Then it works it is lock firmware and has an user name with password, still no more info appears on the screen, isn't a new model but it's still a cute laptop. What can I do do unlock and start using it ? Will I have a trouble if I take it to any store ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 11:16 AM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2024 1:45 PM in response to Manuelbub96

You might have a bit of trouble.. here’s what it is and why it’s there:

What is a firmware password on Mac? - Apple Support (CA)

You could try this ;

you could try taking it to an Apple Store with Genius bar or AASP ( apple authorized service provider) but they might need a receipt + proof of ID and you have to be the primary buyer, if you bought it from someone else who bought it from Apple… eg secondary or tertiary buyer, Apple won’t do it officially as far as I l know… find a store, give ‘em a call and ask them, explain your situation, and see what they have to say…

good luck

John B

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 13, 2024 12:04 PM in response to Manuelbub96

The firmware password is there to keep anyone but the person who locked the Mac from using it. It does this, at the risk that should the owner forget that password, even they will be locked out, with no way to recover, short of taking the machine to Apple.

As far as I know, Apple will only reset (clear) a firmware password if you can prove, to their satisfaction, that you are the original purchaser.

How to unlock a firmware-locked Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.