You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mail crashes despite repeated full resets

MacBook Pro with M1 chip; Sequoia 15.0.1, and running Spamsieve.

Mail loads, almost immediately shows a spinning ball, and will not even force quit. With a forced reboot Mail reopens on its own and immediately crashes again. Tried to do a reset by deleting the preference file, application state file, and then re-indexed. Nothing seems to help. Forced reboot and reopened in Safe Mode; but mail still crashes even then.

Seems to be related to an email that Mail is unable to fully delete.

Temporarily switched to Outlook, which I learned to hate when I had Windows computers, Would like to get Apple Mail working again.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 5:38 PM

3 replies

Oct 13, 2024 6:46 AM in response to masandman

In SpamSieve’s Settings ‣ Apple Mail ‣ Setup window, you can select Disable spam filtering in Apple Mail to temporarily turn off SpamSieve and make sure it isn’t related to the hang. Either way, I recommend using Activity Monitor to record a sample from Mail during the spinning beachball to see what’s causing the hang. It might be a Spotlight issue, for example.

Mail crashes despite repeated full resets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.